• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice: Whole situation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Underscore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello, I'm a 28 year old man who has been married just over 5 years. My wife is 29 years old. We have a 3 year old daughter together and she has an 11 year old son.

We have had an extremely rocky marriage, almost the entire time. There have been many times divorce has been on the table, and I can't count the number of times I've been told to get out or had the wedding band thrown at me. I'm not perfect, I can be lazy and consumed by other things like sports and gaming. However, I have never broken our wedding vows and really am a homebody, I'm always here. In spite of that, she's always had severe paranoia I was cheating.

Anyway, she has asserted once again that she wants a divorce, and I'm not stopping her or even attempting it, but I need an objective view on where I stand here.

First and foremost, we have always kept our money separate. We tried when we first stared living together to share a bank account and money would just disappear. So, she has her bills and I have mine, it's always been that way. Since I've met her, she's always worked, but can't hold a job. She's been fired from 2 and left another just before being fired. Nevertheless, she's always worked.

Recently, she got her job back at the daycare she worked at and was fired from, only to quit two weeks later b/c she felt she made more money keeping two kids at the home. It should be noted she gets paid by a check, but shows the government no income and she's not licensed for this to my knowledge.

I caught her having an affair last November. I didn't know the man, but she'd gotten into a phase where she'd just take off and stay gone overnight, so I knew something was up. I stayed, b/c upon self reflection, I realized I could have been a better husband, and felt my child deserved another chance. I know that now that I've done that, the affair will carry very little legal weight.

So here's what I have. Recently, I have discovered what I've suspected for some time, she is addicted to pain pills. For a long time, she got them via her OBGYN for pain for her endometreosis, but she had a hysterectomy early this year and that is gone. But she's never gotten off them. I broke my foot in January and found she'd taken 12 out of my bottle of Vicodin in 2 days, though she denied it.

A month ago, I discovered through the keylogger on my PC, that she'd ordered pills from a Canadian Pharmacy citing a doctor she'd never seen. I went to her about it, she said someone broke into the house at 1 PM, while only she and the two children were here, and ordered those under her name to be shipped here... According the keylogger, which I checked for accuracy, 5 minutes after ordering the pills, she paid the water bill. She will go to her grave swearing she didn't order them, but miraculously, they were cancelled the following day.

She went to the doctor on July 15th claiming a toothache I think, and he gave her Vicodin, 40 of them. I checked her bottle on Tuesday the 21st and they were GONE. So, I looked on her phone and low and behold, she was texting several people asking if they had any pain pills or knew someone that would trade pain pills for klonipins she gets from her psych. The following day, I discovered she was able to obtain Darvacets by asking the mother of a little boy she keeps to help her, so she called her in something. My wife has never seen that doctor.

I still have pills left from my broken foot, and suspected she'd gotten in my car that night, so I checked that bottle. Yes, I have to hide it b/c I suspected her taking them in the past. There were 5 missing. So that night, I rigged my car so I'd know for absolute certainty if she got in it and she did, though the pills had been moved. It was when I questioned her about getting in my car that she told me of her new wishes to divorce.

Two weeks ago, I suspect she went to the state and got WIC. The thing is, she doesn't qualify for WIC living here b/c our household income is too high. Not by much, but it's too high. I suspect she got that WIC by telling them we were separated, which we aren't.

Here's where I need help. I am concerned for my daughter's safety. My wife has terrible mood swings, depression and anxiety from the addiction to the pain pills, but she won't admit it, so she won't get help. I suspect and almost know for a fact that she has illegally obtained these pills, along with the WIC from the state, as well as making income she isn't paying taxes on.

Do I have a case to take my daughter? I plan on seeing a lawyer this week, I saw one a few months ago before I knew about and could prove the addiction, and he said I wouldn't be able to get my daughter and I'd have to pay her spousal support since she doesn't "technically" have a job.

If I can prove the addiction and illegal activity, is that grounds for me gaining custody? If she willfully quit her job to "work at home", will she have a claim to spousal support if I don't get my child?

A couple of facts that factor in. I make $34,000 before taxes and pay for all the health insurance. We rent. Our bills our basically separate, but we have two older cars we owe on. One is mine that I drive and pay for, and the other is the Jeep she drives which I pay for. When we split up, I foresee myself being able to rent a small place in a decent area on a budget, and she is planning on moving into her mom's downstairs, which has no "rooms", and is just one area, with the two kids.

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this and offer advice. I'm in a very tough spot with this and I desperately need help.

If I missed something, please bring it up, I'll address it. Thanks again.

Tallrat

Best advice is go to a lawyer now. You do not want to get pulled into online drugs/ Wic stuff. If it is not documented you may get in trouble for it also.

LdiJ

Best advice is go to a lawyer now. You do not want to get pulled into online drugs/ Wic stuff. If it is not documented you may get in trouble for it also.
On top of that, you know she is addicted to prescription drugs, yet knowing that you cooperated with her providing daycare for someone else's children, in your home.

You can fight to primary or joint custody of your children, but you don't have the kind of hard evidence you need to prove she has a problem with prescription drugs, and if you did, there is potential for you to be in trouble as well.

Maybe you would be better off convincing her to go to rehad.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she is getting WIC for THEIR HOUSEHOLD, he is already involved and could face problems.

Underscore

Thank you all for the advice.

Though I have suspected the pain pill issue for awhile, I never had any evidence and she always denied it, so it would have been very difficult for me to make any official claims.

I found the bottle of 40 she took in 6 days last week and that's when this process started, then I found the script I know she didn't see that doctor, so I haven't been sitting on it or anything. The evidence and my knowing for sure has just now come about.

On the WIC deal, all I know is that she had an appointment on the 13th and am not sure if she received any benefit yet or not, but I suspect it.

I understand everyone's concern, but I'm left wondering how I can be held responsible when I only discovered this solid evidence in the last week? I had the info on the keylogger a month ago, but she denied it and since everyone in the house has access to that computer, I figured it would be very hard to use.

LdiJ

Thank you all for the advice.

Though I have suspected the pain pill issue for awhile, I never had any evidence and she always denied it, so it would have been very difficult for me to make any official claims.

I found the bottle of 40 she took in 6 days last week and that's when this process started, then I found the script I know she didn't see that doctor, so I haven't been sitting on it or anything. The evidence and my knowing for sure has just now come about.

On the WIC deal, all I know is that she had an appointment on the 13th and am not sure if she received any benefit yet or not, but I suspect it.

I understand everyone's concern, but I'm left wondering how I can be held responsible when I only discovered this solid evidence in the last week? I had the info on the keylogger a month ago, but she denied it and since everyone in the house has access to that computer, I figured it would be very hard to use.
The keylogger is as bad, or worse, as taping her without her permission. You also don't understand what hard evidence is. Hard evidence is her getting arrested, or going into rehab for a pain pill addiction, or some sort of outside evidence that you did not gather yourself.

I recently went to the hospital with horrible back spasms which lead to chest pain and other issues. Turns out it was a bad reaction to some meds I was on for bronchitus...but the back pain was severe so pain medication was prescribed. I was told not to take more than 8 pills in 24 hours, and to come back if the pain wasn't gone after a week....that adds up to more than 40 pills in six days. I didn't need to take that many, but the doctor wouldn't have had a problem with it if I did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">