• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carbear816

I live in Iowa and my fiance and i are planning on getting married but he is still married we think he does not know where she is,they got married in california and have benn seperated for 13 years what do we do to know if they are divorced?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

carbear816 said:
I live in Iowa and my fiance and i are planning on getting married but he is still married we think he does not know where she is,they got married in california and have benn seperated for 13 years what do we do to know if they are divorced?
My response:

They are still married. Distance, or time, does not invalidate a marriage. He can file in Iowa. Each State has methods and procedures for giving proper Notice to the other spouse in a divorce action. He should seek the advice of a local Family Law attorney to get the ball rolling.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">