• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need ex wives bank statements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abrarsalam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL, IL
Hi. I have been divorced for 13 years. I have re-married for about 7 years now. Ex wife is from Florida, and I currently live in Illinois. I had a house with my ex wife. She makes the payments on the house and I pay alimony. I am currently trying to close on a house with my second wife, but the underwriter is asking for my ex wife's bank statements to verify that she has been paying towards the old mortgage. we don't get along that well, and she refuses to give me her bank statements. Any way I can lawfully force her to give me her statements? What can I do? I feel like this is not fair to my new family. Thanks!

LdiJ

Hi. I have been divorced for 13 years. I have re-married for about 7 years now. Ex wife is from Florida, and I currently live in Illinois. I had a house with my ex wife. She makes the payments on the house and I pay alimony. I am currently trying to close on a house with my second wife, but the underwriter is asking for my ex wife's bank statements to verify that she has been paying towards the old mortgage. we don't get along that well, and she refuses to give me her bank statements. Any way I can lawfully force her to give me her statements? What can I do? I feel like this is not fair to my new family. Thanks!
There is absolutely no way to legally force the issue. You would have a better shot at getting a judge to order her to refinance the home to take you off the mortgage...which is what should have been done at the time of the divorce.

single317dad

Your options are:

1) Petition the court and ask that she be required to provide the information you need. If she refuses to cooperate, prepare for a costly battle to compel her to do so.

2) Wait until the mortgage is paid off.

In the future, do not agree to ongoing financial entanglement with someone whom your personal relationship has ended.

ETA: Perhaps your mortgage company would be willing to provide proof of the method of payments.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Your options are:

1) Petition the court and ask that she be required to provide the information you need. If she refuses to cooperate, prepare for a costly battle to compel her to do so.

2) Wait until the mortgage is paid off.

In the future, do not agree to ongoing financial entanglement with someone whom your personal relationship has ended.

ETA: Perhaps your mortgage company would be willing to provide proof of the method of payments.
The court simply cannot compel her to do that...not in this context.

latigo

You have no more legal right to examine the ex's bank statements than she has to snoop through your closets! Which I'm sure you wouldn't consider as being "fair to your new family".

And if you and the proposed lender can't figure out whether or not the "old mortgage note" is and has been kept current without invading someone's privacy then you require more help than is available here.

Bali Hai

You have no more legal right to examine the ex's bank statements than she has to snoop through your closets! Which I'm sure you wouldn't consider as being "fair to your new family".
The mortgage payments damn well better be current since he is paying them with alimony.

Bali Hai

Not based on the original post. He pays alimony. Just like child support, once paid it belongs to the payee to do with as they choose.
That is correct and I'm sure OP has some thoughts as to what the payee perhaps might do with those alimony payments along with her bank statements.

Ladyback1

What if the Ex's mortgage company wanted to see your bank statements to make sure you were paying alimony, and were going to continue paying alimony? Would you gladly and without reservation hand them over?

Bali Hai

What if the Ex's mortgage company wanted to see your bank statements to make sure you were paying alimony, and were going to continue paying alimony? Would you gladly and without reservation hand them over?
There would be no chance of that request since he will be legally responsible to pay her mortgage payments to the lender if she doesn't, as well as legally required to continue paying her alimony.

As one of my lawyers told me during my divorce proceedings, "unfortunately you were born a man".

Ladyback1

There would be no chance of that request since he will be legally responsible to pay her mortgage payments to the lender if she doesn't, as well as legally required to continue paying her alimony.

As one of my lawyers told me during my divorce proceedings, "unfortunately you were born a man".
you missed the point entirely...but, that shouldn't surprise me.

Asking for/requesting/demanding her bank statements is an invasion of privacy. How would the OP like it if the situation were reversed?

Seriously Bali Hai, you are one sad, angry, bitter little man.

Bali Hai

you missed the point entirely...but, that shouldn't surprise me.

Asking for/requesting/demanding her bank statements is an invasion of privacy. How would the OP like it if the situation were reversed?

Seriously Bali Hai, you are one sad, angry, bitter little man.
I'm well aware of your feeble attempt to make a point.

Seriously, your name calling doesn't change the real point and that is, this OP can't go on with his life and you people are telling him tough! The system is cheating him and that is perfectly ok with you because that's the way you want it to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">