• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to get loan out of my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

getridoftheex

I live in Nebraska.

I have been engaged to a man for 4 years. I made the mistake of cosigning on a vehicle with him 2 years ago. Recently he became abusive and I have broken it off. Fortunately for me, he has been making the payments on this vehicle, but I would really like to get out from under it before he stops.

His credit is really bad and there is no way he will be able to refinance the vehicle on his own. He also filed bankruptcy a year ago.

He most likely will not be up for selling the vehicle either.

Is there any way I can go to the bank and take my name off of the loan??

djohnson

A bank isn't going to let you do this. You obviously had to be on it for him to qualify and if he still can't qualify then why would they let you take your name off of it. Unless he pays it off or refinances it you are stuck with it.

VeronicaGia

The only way to get off the loan is for him to refiance in his name. Since you are both on the loan, you are both legally responsible to pay for the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">