• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarashu

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I filed for no-fault divorce from my husband today. I am 4 mos. pregnant, and my (soon to be ex-) husband and I decided that we will work out the custody and visitation details later, as it is a fairly amicable divorce. We figured it would be cheaper that way. As one of the standard questions, the paralegal asked me if I was pregnant. Not wanting to complicate things and not yet showing, I told her that I wasn't. I then said, "Would it make a difference if I was?" She said, "Yeah. 'They' won't give you a divorce if you're pregnant." Is this true for my state? I have no idea, but as I am anxious to get this show on the road, I'm certainly not going to tell her I am. Does anyone know the answer to this? I really would appreciate it. Thanks!

P

pianohunt

DO THE RIGHT THING-DON'T LIE, I would uphold the law (why do you think the paralegal asked you? Obviously there is a law against committing perjury on court papers aka: "no, I'm not pregnant").
As a father who has been screwed over, has a seven year old daughter, and is now spending close to 100k in trying to establish paternity because the birth-mother lied, DON'T LIE! It may take longer but at least you would not be committing perjury! :)

B

bentandbroken

Yes, you have to tell them your pregnant. It is my understanding that you will be granted a divorce, BUT, you'll have to wait until the baby is 6 wks old.

usmcfamily

This is very dangerous territory (perjury that is) -- you see, though you aren't showing now you will certainly be showing by the end of this (most cases take 30-90 days after initial petitioning before the final motion is filed and even then some states take longer or have periods after that before the divorce is finalized) and that will certainly not go unnoticed -- if the suspect you lied and KNEW you were pregnant they can subpoena you, your husband, etc to prove whether or not you have knowledge of the pregnancy the date you filed......which you did.
There is no reason you can't separate but remain legally married for the duration of the pregnancy -- to protect both of you (ie from debt incurred in this time while you are still legally married but not "together") I would suggest you find a family law attorney to draw up an official separation agreement/papers for you outlining the rights and responsibilities of each party during the time of separation leading to the divorce......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">