• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dizzydtrain

My dad and mom have been married for about 23 years now. I am 22 and the only child they have. My parents have a civil marriage for the most part but my dad is very financially controlling. He likes to indulge in the finer things in life but does not let my mom spend any of her money. He actually has all the money both my parents bring in under his supervision. In fact, he gives my mom an allowance of a generous $20.

He can be downright mean to her and loves to put her down. All in all neither of them are really happy and my mom wants a divorce. Now being from Europe, my moms English is not the best and i am not familiar with divorces and law. However, i do know that if my parents were to get divorced he would try to screw her over to the best of his ability. I do not want that to happen because i want my mom to have something left from the house they own and the furniture. She really doesn't even want half to be honest, maybe just a little to help her get started.

My mom has mentioned to me that she would like to transfer any power and ownership that she has to me so that i can deal with the divorce terms. I am not sure if that is a power of attorney or what. I am just curious if that is a possibility because she really doesn't want to deal with my dad especially when it comes to money.

Does anyone here know what the best way to proceed would be in this situation? My mom does make a good amount of money and even has out earned my dad occasionally so its not like he provides the bread and butter. Would i have to get an attorney to help us out? Thanks for your time.What is the name of your state (NY)

Last edited:

Silverplum

We absolutely do NOT get involved in children getting into their parents' marriages.

If your mom needs help, assist her in finding competent legal counsel.

My dad and mom have been married for about 23 years now. I am 22 and the only child they have. My parents have a civil marriage for the most part but my dad is very financially controlling. He likes to indulge in the finer things in life but does not let my mom spend any of her money. He actually has all the money both my parents bring in under his supervision. In fact, he gives my mom an allowance of a generous $20.

He can be downright mean to her and loves to put her down. All in all neither of them are really happy and my mom wants a divorce. Now being from Europe, my moms English is not the best and i am not familiar with divorces and law. However, i do know that if my parents were to get divorced he would try to screw her over to the best of his ability. I do not want that to happen because i want my mom to have something left from the house they own and the furniture. She really doesn't even want half to be honest, maybe just a little to help her get started.

My mom has mentioned to me that she would like to transfer any power and ownership that she has to me so that i can deal with the divorce terms. I am not sure if that is a power of attorney or what. I am just curious if that is a possibility because she really doesn't want to deal with my dad especially when it comes to money.

Does anyone here know what the best way to proceed would be in this situation? My mom does make a good amount of money and even has out earned my dad occasionally so its not like he provides the bread and butter. Would i have to get an attorney to help us out? Thanks for your time.What is the name of your state (NY)

LdiJ

Your mother cannot give you power of attorney to deal with your father and her divorce on her behalf. She needs an attorney for that....and you need to step back.

However, I will give you one piece of advice to pass along to your mother. She needs her own bank account and to control her own paychecks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">