• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myrcinbox8

I and my husband are not getting along and need divorce. It is a abusive relationship. My husband says he has business, But he doesn't tell me what and I don't have his any income details. I earn 60k per year. We are married for 5 years. So, 5 years I have earned say 300k before taxes. so, after taxes say it is 200k. Let's say our monthly expense is $2500. So balance should be 200k - (2500*12*5) = 50k. So, does that mean I need to pay 25k to my husband after divorce? What if I have more savings in my bank than 50k. Will that be also considered for 50/50 split up? Is the income earned is considered from tax return only or all bank balances are also considered?

LdiJ

I and my husband are not getting along and need divorce. It is a abusive relationship. My husband says he has business, But he doesn't tell me what and I don't have his any income details. I earn 60k per year. We are married for 5 years. So, 5 years I have earned say 300k before taxes. so, after taxes say it is 200k. Let's say our monthly expense is $2500. So balance should be 200k - (2500*12*5) = 50k. So, does that mean I need to pay 25k to my husband after divorce? What if I have more savings in my bank than 50k. Will that be also considered for 50/50 split up? Is the income earned is considered from tax return only or all bank balances are also considered?
That is not how it works.

You will be splitting the marital assets and debts. The marital assets and debts are those that accrued during the marriage.

So, if your savings account had 30k in it when you got married, and has 50k now, then the marital portion is 20k. If your house had equity of 60k when you got married, and has 100k of equity now, the marital portion is 40k. The same applies for any other assets or retirement accounts, and any debts. The same also applies for any assets/debts that he has.

Please see an attorney. It sounds to me like you have too much in assets not to hire yourself a decent attorney.

mistoffolees

That is not how it works.

You will be splitting the marital assets and debts. The marital assets and debts are those that accrued during the marriage.

So, if your savings account had 30k in it when you got married, and has 50k now, then the marital portion is 20k. If your house had equity of 60k when you got married, and has 100k of equity now, the marital portion is 40k. The same applies for any other assets or retirement accounts, and any debts. The same also applies for any assets/debts that he has.

Please see an attorney. It sounds to me like you have too much in assets not to hire yourself a decent attorney.
Plus, if OP has been married for 5 years, husband has 'business', and OP has no idea how much he makes, it's a situation ripe for hidden assets.

Make sure the attorney knows as much about the situation as possible (the business name, address, any other information you can provide) so he can subpoena financial records from the bank. You may well need a forensic accountant to help figure out if stbx has money stashed away somewhere.

mistoffolees

Go talk to a real live person. The people here are just bloggers! You can get bad/damaging info from this site.
These folks don't really know what an abusive person can do to you.
This is not a normal divorce.
Protect yourself- fight hard for you.. not this 50/50 crap.
Go to a real person- real support.
Or forums where people who have BEEN THERE talk.. like Delphi forums.
ROTFLMAO.

Right. No one here knows what they're talking about. She should ask the court to award her 95% of their marital assets and demand alimony as well. And if there aren't enough assets, they should sell him into slavery so she can get more money. And if she just says 'pretty please' and has the right lawyer, she'll get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">