• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubledad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I need help with getting a divorce. I also want to have joint custody of our kids. We are currently separated ( not legally separated ) and I live in a separate home. I also want to make sure that she can not leave the state and go live somewhere else. What are my options?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I need help with getting a divorce. I also want to have joint custody of our kids. We are currently separated ( not legally separated ) and I live in a separate home. I also want to make sure that she can not leave the state and go live somewhere else. What are my options?
Have you filed for divorce? How far from the marital home do you live? Who do you live with? Are there any court orders? And what county are you in?

troubledad

Same city

I have not filed for anything yet. The separation is recent ( couple months now ). I still live in the same city and live only a couple streets away from where we used to live ( she stills lives there but we are trying to sell the house since she can't afford it on her own and I can't afford to pay for it and my rent ). I live by myself in a two bedroom apartment. There are no court orders since we haven't went to court for anything yet. I live in Lucas County. My biggest concern is her taking the kids out of state to live with another guy ( long story ) because she has stated that she is thinking about doing that. I have no problem with her being with someone else because I wanted her to move on with her life but my problem is her wanting to move to another state hundreds of miles away and taking the kids with her. I want to file for divorce but money is tight and I don't have the time or knowledge to do it on my own. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to stop her from moving?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to file for a divorce. End of story.

Get your $250 filing fee together and file the necessary paperwork and read the links at the bottom of the page starting with the local rules.

Look at this link for possible pro bono assistance:

Once a divorce is filed you can get a restraining order prohibiting her from removing the children.

mistoffolees

Joint legal custody (which basically concerns decision making and responsibility for the kids) is becoming more and more common in most states. In some states, it's the default - that means that the other party has to prove you're unfit in order to get sole custody.

Joint physical custody is harder. While it is also the default in a few states, it is easier for the judge to give one parent primary physical custody. For the best chance of joint physical custody, the parents need to live close enough that the kids' lives won't be disrupted any more than necessary. They need to either live in the same school district or one has to be willing to drive to the kids to the school district where the other parent lives. Both parents need to be able to demonstrate sufficient maturity to work with the other parent on parenting issues.

You cannot keep HER from leaving the state, but you can keep her from taking the kids to another state. It's fairly straightforward in most cases, but you need to act quickly. Once you file for divorce, you ask for a ruling that neither of you moves the children out of state (make sure it works both ways so it doesn't look like you're trying to pull something). If there's a risk of flight, it is possible to get a ruling that she can't even take the kids out of state for visits (my ex had a ruling from her first divorce that she couldn't even leave the county with the kids for dinner). Unless there's real risk of flight, though, IMHO, you want to be very reasonable since it is likely to lead to a better resolution in the end. A rule against moving out of state with the kids is probably sufficient in most cases. BTW, check the divorce docs. In some states, that rule is applied automatically as soon as one party files for divorce.

You have kids and want to keep joint custody. The fact that you're asking the question here suggests that it may be contested. I would strongly encourage you to consult with an attorney. There's a lot at stake (unless the kids are almost adults in which case the issue isn't as important).

troubledad

help

No both my kids are under age 5. I am trying to see if I can get free legal aide. She plans on moving at the beginning of next year so I need to get a motion of divorce in as soon as possible. I just pray that I find someone who can help me because I don't want to see my kids leave out of state. My kids are the only good things I have left in my life.

majomom1

No both my kids are under age 5. I am trying to see if I can get free legal aide. She plans on moving at the beginning of next year so I need to get a motion of divorce in as soon as possible. I just pray that I find someone who can help me because I don't want to see my kids leave out of state. My kids are the only good things I have left in my life.
Follow Ohiogal's advice. Filing will get temporary orders in place and restrict her from leaving the area without court approval. You can work the rest out later. Just get it filed.

You could probably get her to move back, if she were to move... but it is easier to take care of it now.

troubledad

Frustrating

Well I have been trying to get a hold of some legal aide but it seems like playing phone tag. Every time I call them they are either busy or I have to leave a message. Then when they do call I either miss the message or I can't talk at that moment. I REALLY need to get something set up and filed because she is now talking about moving in NOVEMBER!! I'm just really frustrated and worried that I won't be able to do it in time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well I have been trying to get a hold of some legal aide but it seems like playing phone tag. Every time I call them they are either busy or I have to leave a message. Then when they do call I either miss the message or I can't talk at that moment. I REALLY need to get something set up and filed because she is now talking about moving in NOVEMBER!! I'm just really frustrated and worried that I won't be able to do it in time.
Did you do what I told you to do? You need to file and the links I gave you will enable you to file pro se.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">