• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help asap please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mandi87

Missouri and illinois help. My situation: Left my husband with my 2 children, 1 is 2 yrs old, other is 4 mo old. We are staying with family in Illinois and my husband lives in missouri. I got an order of protection against him in Illinois and have temp custody. He somehow got a restraining order against me in missouri, no idea how, I have never done anything to him. I don't have a lawyer yet and mo is having all lawyers doing mandatory training until monday. I just got papers saying I have a mo court date on Tuesday for a preliminary injunction. What is it and what do I do? Do I have to go and what does it mean?
I also have a court date Dec 8th case review, which says no appearance required and another one Jan 12 for pre trial conference.
Please help me, I don't know what to do and I can't loose my babies, he is trying to take them from me. He is an alcoholic with anger problems who was physically and mentally abusive to me and my 2 yr old. We need help asap please.

Silverplum

Missouri and illinois help. My situation: Left my husband with my 2 children, 1 is 2 yrs old, other is 4 mo old. We are staying with family in Illinois and my husband lives in missouri. I got an order of protection against him in Illinois and have temp custody. He somehow got a restraining order against me in missouri, no idea how, I have never done anything to him. I don't have a lawyer yet and mo is having all lawyers doing mandatory training until monday. I just got papers saying I have a mo court date on Tuesday for a preliminary injunction. What is it and what do I do? Do I have to go and what does it mean?
I also have a court date Dec 8th case review, which says no appearance required and another one Jan 12 for pre trial conference.
Please help me, I don't know what to do and I can't loose my babies, he is trying to take them from me. He is an alcoholic with anger problems who was physically and mentally abusive to me and my 2 yr old. We need help asap please.
Your court dates are in which state?
When did you leave MO?

Mandi87

Missouri and I moved to il sept 6th, left him the night before which I have a police report from. *** it was Aug 6th, sorry.

Last edited:

Proserpina

That's quite odd.

But anyway, looks like Dad is trying to get custody sorted out in Missouri, instead of Illinois.

Do you have evidence of him abusing your 2 year old?

Proserpina

...which is the proper place to do it.
Absodanglutely.

A custody determination should be made in Missouri.

Quite honestly I think this Mom may have shot herself in the foot; if Dad requests it, there's a better-than-decent chance that the court in Missouri will order at least the children to be returned pending a determination.

The only wildcard would seem to be a domestic violence issue against the 2 year old. However I doubt that police were called or anything of that nature. I'm also thinking that Dad might have actually obtained not a standard restraining order, but rather an order restraining her from keeping the children out of their home state.

Time will tell.

Silverplum

Missouri and I moved to il sept 6th, left him the night before which I have a police report from. *** it was Aug 6th, sorry.
You haven't established residency in IL. It's quite proper for your case to be heard in MO. You took the children and moved to another state -- I don't blame Dad for filing in MO. I also have no idea how you managed to get "temp custody" in a brand-new state. (In fact, several points in your post are strange and unlikely, IMO.)

You'll need an attorney, and not one in IL. You need a family law attorney in MO: that person can make court appearances on your behalf.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You haven't established residency in IL. It's quite proper for your case to be heard in MO. You took the children and moved to another state -- I don't blame Dad for filing in MO. I also have no idea how you managed to get "temp custody" in a brand-new state. (In fact, several points in your post are strange and unlikely, IMO.)

You'll need an attorney, and not one in IL. You need a family law attorney in MO: that person can make court appearances on your behalf.
I suspect that the OP ...mmmm... embellished her story to the court in IL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">