• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help to file for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blazer91s10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (suffolk )

My Exwife left me 3 years ago. She was sick with MS and abandoned me and the residence. I understand from the neighbors that she had help moving out while I was at work one day. She stole items from the home and left the house a wreck ,so I filed a report with the local police that she left and stole from the residence. I understand her help was in the from of her step father and son. We have no children together. When she left she moved into a low income appartment for a few months but was not able to be there on her own she was to sick so now I have information that she is in a nursing home and rehbilitation center possibly bed ridden. She is no longer a benificiary on anything of mine except my pention. I removed her from my 401K and all other that I could. I have medical insurance through my job and she is on that and I understand she is using part of it she also has SSI and medicare. She had the insurance company stop sending me the statments so I don't know how much they cover and for what. Her name does not appear on any bills in my home nor is she on the deed to the home she never was. the car is in my name. My question is how do I go about filing for divorce without it costing me alot and taking very long. I would like to get this over with and move on. I have never contacted her or heard from her. Can I file uncontested? Or is there another better grounds for divorce. Maybe abandonment with the police report? I don't think she will fight me and if she does what are my options. Also can be held accountable for any of her bills? Past or present?
Thanks in advance any help is greatly appreciated.
Michael

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (suffolk )

My Exwife left me 3 years ago. She was sick with MS and abandoned me and the residence. I understand from the neighbors that she had help moving out while I was at work one day. She stole items from the home and left the house a wreck ,so I filed a report with the local police that she left and stole from the residence. I understand her help was in the from of her step father and son. We have no children together. When she left she moved into a low income appartment for a few months but was not able to be there on her own she was to sick so now I have information that she is in a nursing home and rehbilitation center possibly bed ridden. She is no longer a benificiary on anything of mine except my pention. I removed her from my 401K and all other that I could. I have medical insurance through my job and she is on that and I understand she is using part of it she also has SSI and medicare. She had the insurance company stop sending me the statments so I don't know how much they cover and for what. Her name does not appear on any bills in my home nor is she on the deed to the home she never was. the car is in my name. My question is how do I go about filing for divorce without it costing me alot and taking very long. I would like to get this over with and move on. I have never contacted her or heard from her. Can I file uncontested? Or is there another better grounds for divorce. Maybe abandonment with the police report? I don't think she will fight me and if she does what are my options. Also can be held accountable for any of her bills? Past or present?
Thanks in advance any help is greatly appreciated.
Michael
You truly need to consult an attorney ASAP.

First, she is not currently your exwife, she is your wife. Therefore, she really cannot have stolen anything from the marital residence. She might have to account for marital possessions in the divorce, but that is not stealing.

She would be entitled to 1/2 of any assets that accrued during the marriage, even if she is not on the title.

You and she would both be responsible for 1/2 of any debt that accrued during the marriage, no matter whose name that debt is in.

You have a seriously disabled spouse and could be possibly be made to pay alimony, particularly if she is currently being supported by the state and federal government.

If she is in a nursing home, she may not be long for this world. If you divorce her, she is going to lose your insurance and that may actually be a bad thing for you.

Please get a consult with an attorney, a divorce may be a very costly thing for you.

mistoffolees

If she is in a nursing home, she may not be long for this world. If you divorce her, she is going to lose your insurance and that may actually be a bad thing for you.
As an aside, do NOT remove her from your insurance until you've talked with the attorney. If you were to remove her from your insurance now, you could end up being liable for the expenses PLUS you could face penalties from the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">