• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with forms for california and if im doing this right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssmokeyy

Hello I'm from wa state and we were married here and lived here the hole marriage. on 7/26/13 my wife left and moved in with another man in California and I was trying to make things easy on her to get the divorce over but she played me and opened a case down in santa cruz. I all ready had a open case in Spokane wa. So now I have a summons for California but need to get the case down there dismissed. I have been reading forms fl-120 civ-110 civ-120 and need to know if that's what I need to file? Is there any thing else im missing? Does it cost to responded in California?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello I'm from wa state and we were married here and lived here the hole marriage. on 7/26/13 my wife left and moved in with another man in California and I was trying to make things easy on her to get the divorce over but she played me and opened a case down in santa cruz. I all ready had a open case in Spokane wa. So now I have a summons for California but need to get the case down there dismissed. I have been reading forms fl-120 civ-110 civ-120 and need to know if that's what I need to file? Is there any thing else im missing? Does it cost to responded in California?
Whose case was filed first? When? Hire an attorney to respond to this properly to get it dismissed. If you screw up, California will have personal jurisdiction over you because you responded. You have to enter a limited appearance just to have the case dismissed but you have to do it properly.

latigo

Hello I'm from wa [sic] state and we were married here and lived here the hole marriage. on 7/26/13 my wife left and moved in with another man in California and I was trying to make things easy on her to get the divorce over but she played me and opened a case down in santa cruz [sic]. I all ready had a open case in Spokane wa [sic]. So now I have a summons for California but need to get the case down there dismissed. I have been reading forms fl-120 civ-110 civ-120 and need to know if that's what I need to file? Is there any thing else im ]sic] missing? Does it cost to responded in California?
If dissolution of the marriage is all she is seeking, why would you object to having the decree issued by a California court and she incurring the cost? If she is seeking additional relief, explain what it is.

However, if you want to spend several thousand dollars in paying a lawyer in Santa Cruz to make an "attempt" to convince the California court that it should defer jurisdiction to Washington, have at it. Just don't delude yourself with the notion that you could accomplish it pro per.

Also, bear in mind that if you make a "general appearance" in the case pending in Santa Cruz, California you become subject to the personal jurisdiction of that court.

So, if you decide to cough up the small bank roll needed to hire a California lawyer, make sure that those consequences are fully explained to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">