• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need in immediate Legal Advice.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssrivastava841

With due respect, this is to state that i had been married to an NRI in Delhi, on 03-12-2007. My husband is presently living in US.

I am presently living with my father-in-law, My mother-in-Law and a sister of my Resp. Father-in-law.

This has been brought into my notice through my parents as they have received a Xerox copy of written complaint letter of dated 18-12-2010 from my respected Father –in-Law who have registered a written complaint against me .The allegation alleged on me is purely baseless and I was never ever known to this neighter from my husband nor from any of my family members as I was out of Delhi and had gone to see my sick father who was with bad in Health.
In the very fourth paragraph of that written complaint letter it is allegedly mentioned that I am physically impotent and have physical deficiency as well which is totally baseless, false and completely manipulated allegation and I feel very much hurted to know as this came from my respected father-in-law.
Madam, this is to make you aware that I am on regular medication and this is well known to my husband as he worked there as a financial consultant. My husband only had booked my ticket to my native to see my father and to consult with our family doctor, and this was the only reason I was out to my matrimonial house.
I arrived my native on 23rd of November with my youngest brother, Everything went well for a week but soon after that my Husband started motivating me to have divorce saying that he dont want to live with me anymore on the ground that i am not able to deliver a child becos i am impotent as has consulted with the doctors in US. I got very much afraid to listen to all this in a sudden and have completely refused. I got very much upset to listen this kind of word from my Husband on whom I believed and trusted. This was shocking to me. I was threatened to face dire consequences if I return back to my matrimonial home as I was told that they have already filed a marriage annulment and divorce petition in court. I have personally tried my best to convince my husband but he was not at all in a position to listen a word from my mouth and abused me. He threatened me that he will make my parents life a hell. I was completely shocked to hear these all and was not able to think how and what to do to handle the situation.

Soon after this the elder brother of my Husband and eldest sister Mrs. Sangeeta Ahuja also started threatening me to be with my parents till the Case got settled. They both threatened to keep mum saying that they have money and political power/approach and they can manage to send my whole family in jail.

I was very much afraid to listen to this kind of words and was not able to decide what to do but after rigorous thinking I have decided to go back to my Matrimonial Home to face the challenges and to and finally I have reached on 27-01-2010 with my youngest brother who accompanied me to drop me 9.30 PM as the train got late. My Father-in-Law opened the door but after seeing me and my brother at doorstep he locked the door from inside. We requested him to let us enter the house because where will we go by that time, but he did not open the door. We then decided to wait outside the house.

The door was opened after 3 hrs. and we then entered the house but we were not allowed to go to bed room as he had locked each and every room even kitchen. We were bound to sleep at the floor with our own blanket which has been brought with us.
On the very next day morning the elder brother of my Husband arrived with his friends and started beating my brother and forcing us to vacant the house immediately which I objected confronting that let us my parents come to negotiate the matter but he did not listen to us and started threatening that he will pour kerosene and shall torch the flame. Meanwhile the elder sister have also came and tried to convince me to leave the place saying I don’t have legitimate right to stay at this home. I confronted and requested them with the same sentences to let my parents come to negotiate but they all sang the same song saying that my husband has authorized his brother and given the power of attorny to him to deal with the case filed in court in behalf of my Husband. He only then called police sending his friends out to the scene. They threaten to kill me if I open my mouth or complain anything against them. Police came to our house and they started showing with the documents they have with them. Police asked me about the matter and took my statements where I wished to live well in the family.I was very much afraid.

Police then facilitated and i finaly told to stay in the house with my father-in-law with his widow sister without any restrictions and my husband’s brother and sisters was sent out to home. My brother was not allowed to live with me so he also left for our native.

Presently I am living with my father in law but he has made so many restriction as i should not come out to my bed room, Not allowed to talk to someone over the phone or even go out to house.

In this circumstances i am feeling very much unsafe and in need of care and protection as my life is at threat as i know that the elder brother of my husband is criminal minded and he can harm me any time.

My husband is not talking to me or receiving my calls but i suspect he is trying to bring his parents to US. I am not in a position to decide how can i fight for justice if they all leave the place in a sudden. Therefore i kinldy request you to help me to provide justice as i dont wanted to have divorce as this would be very difficult for me to face the consequences of being a widow and i also dont want my parents to feel shame in our society.

I will look forward to hear from you at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks and regards

Ss841

candg918

In the US, it is not required that you agree to a divorce for it to be granted. He may file for divorce and have it granted without you even being present. You need legal representation in the US immediately to protect your interests. You should hire an attorney in the city in which your husband has filed. The attorney should formally request in court that your husband be responsible for paying your fees. I suggest that an attorney familiar with Indian law and customs licensed to practice in your US state would be the best choice of representative for you. Check the AILA organization website to locate an immigration attorney in your area; check with their firms to see if they also have a "family law" practice or can recommend an attorney to assist you. You can also call your local "Bar Association" for a referral.

If you are a green card holder, you do not need his permission or any document from him to enter the US. If you are a dependent of a guest worker (H4 or L2), you would need employment documents from him to enter. It appears that you are now in India. Please seek the assistance of an attorney there to assist you in issues of Indian law and an attorney licensed in US law to assist you in with US immigration issues.

Please do not place yourself in physical danger. Your husband cannot prevent you from returning and living in your home in the US until a US court has ruled that you must leave it. In the event you return, be sure to always have a means to telephone the police to come immediately to your assistance if he or another becomes violent. They will help you go to a shelter where counselors will be able to assist you in obtaining legal and other assistance.

Your safety is the most important thing. Please take whatever means necessary to remove yourself from your current living situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">