• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gryphon28

My wife recently after 7 years of marriage has decided she wants to move on and after a month of discussion we decided she was right it wasnt going to work.We have just fallen out of love no fault on any part.I have never dealt with anything like this-What does something like this cost?We have 2 children and agree on equal custody. We simply want to legally end the marriage without alot of complication and interferance.We have communicated what we want out of each other and it was agreeable.how long will this take and what are the Iowa laws when it comes to child support and alimony?We have no property or money only personal items to be divided.What does this cost on average?Is it feesable to try and get what we want which is a speedy divorce with little more interferance than legally ending our marriage and granting the equal custody of the kids?
Time is short please advise me.
[email protected]

N

needoutNOW

In Iowa there is a mandatory waiting period after you file for the divorce. I believe it is 6 months. I am not sure if they still require this, but you may have to attend a parenting class for divorced children. If you both want it done quickly, I suggest that you both make certain that you agree about everything - disagreements are usually what cause long drawn out divorces. Also, child support in Iowa is based on income, both incomes. More than likely you/she won't be required to pay alimony, you weren't married long enough and alimony was invented way back when women didn't work and they needed some support. Iowa is a no fault state so you won't have to prove up grounds for divorce.

I am not a lawyer, but have been divorced in Iowa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">