• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Information RE: Surname Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melsmommy

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
I am in the process of getting a divorce in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My exhusband and I were married in California....but filed for divorce up there in Canada. My divorce will be final by the end of March at the latest. After filing for divorce in Toronto, I have moved back to California and I live there now.

My question is this.....and it's two fold.

This is my 2nd marriage....and I have a child by my first husband. Can I legally go back to the name I had before I married this last time? The same name as my child? Even if it is the name of my 1st husband?? Or....if I change my name....do I have to go back to my original maiden name?

If I can change my name back to my child last name.....what are the costs involved and the documents I would need to fill out.

If I have to go back to my original maiden name.....what are the costs involved and the documents I would need to fill out.

Thank you for your help....I'm not ready to make this leap....but I'm just wanting to find out what my legal options are.

Thank you,
Cindy

Last edited:

LdiJ

melsmommy said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
I am in the process of getting a divorce in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My exhusband and I were married in California....but filed for divorce up there in Canada. My divorce will be final by the end of March at the latest. After filing for divorce in Toronto, I have moved back to California and I live there now.

My question is this.....and it's two fold.

This is my 2nd marriage....and I have a child by my first husband. Can I legally go back to the name I had before I married this last time? The same name as my child? Even if it is the name of my 1st husband?? Or....if I change my name....do I have to go back to my original maiden name?

If I can change my name back to my child last name.....what are the costs involved and the documents I would need to fill out.

If I have to go back to my original maiden name.....what are the costs involved and the documents I would need to fill out.

Thank you for your help....I'm not ready to make this leap....but I'm just wanting to find out what my legal options are.

Thank you,
Cindy
You can change your name to whatever you like. That is your priveledge.

The costs and the proceedures vary from state to state. You would need to do some local research to get that information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">