• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to know how to protect my marital assessts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JiminSD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California!

My wife and i have been married for 8 years, she is mentally ill and is under temporary conservatorship, and lately has gotten somewhat worse. I am concerned that she may need longterm treatment which my insurance will not cover and neither wil medicare. I don't wan't to doivorce/separate or from her but ialso don't want to risk my share of the community property that I would receive from a legal separation. Basically I want to hold on with hope that she gets better but if she doesn't how much time would I have to protect my assessts and what steps would it take to do so. Additonally, she may be put in to a 1 year conseravtorship. What are the problems arising from getting a separation, if needed, to protect my assessts while she is in conservatorship since she can enter into a contract while in conservatorship?

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">