• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Sep.Div. Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

outoflawd

Virginia (Beach),Va.-USA//

My 1st question is am I getting ripped off, by my now existing lawyer! Q2 involves what are the proceedures and what to expect in a separation/divorce case (male side).

Q1: I'm a male going through my 3rd, but 1st on my side initiated, Separation/Divorce situation. I signed up with a supposed "cheapie" lawyer who is charging me (originally ad said uncontested uncomplicated divorce= $150 ;outside of court costs etc.). This is before I discussed particulars or anything with my wife. He then said a separation agreement, to be written up would cost me $450. I told my wife, who 1st said she wanted everything including alimony (we have no kids but a joint house), then said she wouldn't sign anything. My lawyer wasn't much help. But when I called him back a few days later (speaking to his helper) she said, since she doesn't agree, does it pay to write up a separation agreement!? I said if I have to pay for it any-yes! She said, If my wife doesn't agree it will take longer and probably cost me $750 (more or attached to the original amount,I'm not really sure). Is this too expensive and why am I not getting clear-cut answers?

Q2: Since my wife currently (only talked this over one day, so far)won't sign anything or agree to a divorce, what recourse do I have to "push" this through sooner. She won't get a lawyer of her own! I have paid everything (she had not held a job for approximately 35% of our entire 7 plus year marriage-so it's not much on her side for contributing financially. I also feel she is relatively fit and able to work,despite her age-she's 53-but she doen't agree on her health issues), including health, auto insurance, utility bills, mortgage,her credit card and health bills etc. I am trying to do this humanely and even asking for my reduced share of things-but I can't or will not pay alimony, maintenance or the mortgage-if and when this becomes final (we are both individually and collectively,not well off financially). Failing the nice guy approach, I tried instead to taking the "hardball" approach, by saying I'd drop all payments on items that concern her or have her name on them! What else can I do or expect to happen?

Please contact me directly to my addy of: [email protected] (Names John). Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">