• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfiles09

I'm located in TX and I got married back in November to the most wonderful man in the world. We've decided to call it quits because of some of the things I've done. But that's not my point, I found out that our marriage license was never mailed in. So I believe, legally we're not married. He has put me on his health insurance and in order to take me off, there has to be an annulment or divorce, or he has to wait until the next open enrollment period to take me off. Well due to finances, he needs to take me off asap.

I'm so confused:confused: and don't know what to do... I also wanted to know if I would need any kind of form stating this marriage was never legal in order to go change my name back at the DPS and SS??

Thanks!

ariastar

Why was the certificate never mailed in? Why would the insurance company allow you to go on without proof, but now wants proof to remove you?

Without the certificate being filed, you are not married.

mistoffolees

Why was the certificate never mailed in? Why would the insurance company allow you to go on without proof, but now wants proof to remove you?

Without the certificate being filed, you are not married.
Not so fast. Texas is a common law marriage state. If they told everyone they were married, filed taxes as married (or even filled out W4 forms as married), filed insurance as married, then they're probably married.

It's probably easier to get a quickie divorce than to mess around with trying to prove that they're not married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">