• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice for simple divorce in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murrdox

What is the name of your state? VA

My Wife and I have been married for just over 2 years, and have been separated for 6 months. We have not yet signed a formal separation agreement, but have already gotten together quite awhile and itemized everything and divided our assets. We have no children, no house, and no complex assets to divide. No alimony is expected to be involved, and we're splitting about as amicably as one could expect.

My questions are:

I don't really have the funds to hire a lawyer who will cost thousands of dollars. Would people recommend the "Do it Yourself" divorce books with instructions on filling out the forms and filing yourself?

What about the online services where they fill out the forms for you and take care of the filing?

Am I wrong about the lawyer cost situation? Are there lawyers who can help with a divorce of this kind for a few hundred dollars as opposed to a few thousand?

Since we have not yet signed a separation agreement, would we need to wait an additional 6 months after that is done before being able to finalize the divorce?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? VA

My Wife and I have been married for just over 2 years, and have been separated for 6 months. We have not yet signed a formal separation agreement, but have already gotten together quite awhile and itemized everything and divided our assets. We have no children, no house, and no complex assets to divide. No alimony is expected to be involved, and we're splitting about as amicably as one could expect.

My questions are:

I don't really have the funds to hire a lawyer who will cost thousands of dollars. Would people recommend the "Do it Yourself" divorce books with instructions on filling out the forms and filing yourself?

What about the online services where they fill out the forms for you and take care of the filing?

Am I wrong about the lawyer cost situation? Are there lawyers who can help with a divorce of this kind for a few hundred dollars as opposed to a few thousand?

Since we have not yet signed a separation agreement, would we need to wait an additional 6 months after that is done before being able to finalize the divorce?
Since you have no children and no significant assets, a DIY divorce is probably a fairly safe thing for you to do. However, you also may be able to find an attorney to handle it for a relatively low cost as well.

in my area of town there is a lawyer that advertises an uncontested divorce for $375 flat fee.

If that were available to me, i would personally pay that price before i did a DIY kit. Than you know for sure that everything is done right. but that is merely my opinion

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">