• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some idea on spousal support payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladybugnik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am getting ready to file for divorce after 19yrs of marriage we have lived together for 20yrs. I make 19,000.00 a year and he makes 60,000.00. We have 2 children. He is a firefighter/paramedic and I am a secretary. Just wondering if I will get spousal support and approx how much. I live in ohio.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am getting ready to file for divorce after 19yrs of marriage we have lived together for 20yrs. I make 19,000.00 a year and he makes 60,000.00. We have 2 children. He is a firefighter/paramedic and I am a secretary. Just wondering if I will get spousal support and approx how much. I live in ohio.
You might get anything from $0 to 20,500 per year for 54 months. However how old are the children? Are you working full time? What is your education level? What have you earned before this?

mistoffolees

You might get anything from $0 to 20,500 per year for 54 months.
Are you sure that's a broad enough range? ;-)

Actually, it confirms what I've said all along. The guidelines for alimony are no where near as well-defined as the guidelines for child support. It depends a LOT on the judge's discretion.

I still cannot understand why any adult who can support themselves would want support from someone who either they don't wish to remain married to or who doesn't wish to remain married to them. Child support--yes. Share of marital assets--yes. Support--no, not unless the spouse needing support is unable to work.

mistoffolees

I still cannot understand why any adult who can support themselves would want support from someone who either they don't wish to remain married to or who doesn't wish to remain married to them. Child support--yes. Share of marital assets--yes. Support--no, not unless the spouse needing support is unable to work.
Whether you understand it or not, many people do want it - and the law allows for it in most states under appropriate circumstances.

Heck, my ex is asking for MORE money 3 years after the divorce, even though my income has gone down. Some people are like that.

I know, I know. It just seems that the ambiguity in spousal support laws versus child support laws benefits divorce lawyers more than anyone else.

mistoffolees

I know, I know. It just seems that the ambiguity in spousal support laws versus child support laws benefits divorce lawyers more than anyone else.
There is good reason for that.

Kids always need to be supported and it's up to both parents to provide the support. Most states adjust the support depending on the relative incomes of the parents.

Ex-spouses may or may not need support. It's just impossible to make one simple rule that always applies.

Still, I wish there were at least rough guidelines that could be used as a starting point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">