• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In need of urgent assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julibrazil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UK
Hello;
This is my first time posting here, so in advance thank you for your help, since this is a somewhat unusual case.
I'm a american resident (green card through marriage) currently in the UK on holiday. My ex-husband(US citzen) and I have been separated for the past 2 years. We held out on the divorce until the beginning of this year when we finally decided to make it oficial. I decided to take the initiative an file for it.

Before doing so, I found out that in Washington, DC (were we both reside) the plaintiff needs to appear in court. Since I had a trip planned to the UK ( a long term one, working for a company here) I asked my ex-husband if he'd agree in being the plaintiff. He was ok with it, since we both wanted the divorce-an uncontested one, btw. I travelled to the UK and have been here for the past 5 months and he has not filed the divorce since!

I've been in touch with him, sent all the paperwork needed, even sent him money for the filing fee, but every week there's an excuse. I don't know what else to do. I Cannot afford to go back to the US now (I also run the risk of not being allowed back in the UK and finishing my contract), and was wondering if there's any way of filing for a divorce from overseas and not having to appear in court.
I'm very concerned about the fact he has my future in his hands and it appears there's nothing I can do about it.

Help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

Guess that's what happens when you marry for a Green Card. You get what you pay for.
That was extremely offensive and unnecessary. There are several seniors on this forum, who married people from other countries, who were not married "for green cards", including myself. You insult us and every other person like us, with statements like that.

In addition, it also shows a bit of ignorance regarding global circumstances these days. A European is highly unlikely to marry an American for a green card these days, its far more likely to be the reverse!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UK
Hello;
This is my first time posting here, so in advance thank you for your help, since this is a somewhat unusual case.
I'm a american resident (green card through marriage) currently in the UK on holiday. My ex-husband(US citzen) and I have been separated for the past 2 years. We held out on the divorce until the beginning of this year when we finally decided to make it oficial. I decided to take the initiative an file for it.

Before doing so, I found out that in Washington, DC (were we both reside) the plaintiff needs to appear in court. Since I had a trip planned to the UK ( a long term one, working for a company here) I asked my ex-husband if he'd agree in being the plaintiff. He was ok with it, since we both wanted the divorce-an uncontested one, btw. I travelled to the UK and have been here for the past 5 months and he has not filed the divorce since!

I've been in touch with him, sent all the paperwork needed, even sent him money for the filing fee, but every week there's an excuse. I don't know what else to do. I Cannot afford to go back to the US now (I also run the risk of not being allowed back in the UK and finishing my contract), and was wondering if there's any way of filing for a divorce from overseas and not having to appear in court.
I'm very concerned about the fact he has my future in his hands and it appears there's nothing I can do about it.

Help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You should get a consult with a solicitor in the UK about the possibility of filing for divorce there. It may not be possible, but its worth checking out.

I travelled to the UK and have been here for the past 5 months

(I also run the risk of not being allowed back in the UK and finishing my contract)
Nothing at all indicative of this person being European, especially since this person runs the risk of not being allowed back in the UK.

And you know this persons heritage how?

Julibrazil

Not only your comment was unnecessary "old and tired", it was also inaccurate.

It amazes me that there are people like you believing the only reason for a foreigner to marry an american is to acquire residency in your amazing country. Really??? There are many amazing countries in this world. I can say that because I'm from one of those amazing countries out there (Brazil), and have been-and lived-in other few amazing ones.You should have more confidence in your men (and women) to conquer the heart of people all over. More then your country if I may say so.

But I digress... Why are you even participating in such a forum? people, such as myself, resort to said forums not for lack of a more interesting activity in their lives, rather because they are in need of help and don't know where/how to acquire said help.

Your cynicism and bitterness are definitely not the help I was looking for.Specially at this moment in life.

To the rest of you, thank you for your time.

And good luck in the future not letting people like "old and tired" discredit your effort. Hopefully this forum will be useful for some people out there.

Guess that's what happens when you marry for a Green Card. You get what you pay for.
WOW! First you trot out 1940 gender stereotype comments in one thread & now this. Old, Tired, Sexist & Xenophobic. But, of course, that is the great thing about America---freedom of speech.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">