• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Urgent Feedback??????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pb1963

I have been going through a divorce since 8/04. Spouse deployed 2 months of that time. While his current fiance was not the reason for the breakdown of the marraige, and while I didn't file based on Adultery, the entire process has been a nightmare. I have not really likeD my attorney from day 1 but assumed that he would do his job regardless (i.e. look after my interests first and if possible follow my instructions regardless of his agenda and opinion).
I have met w/atty. 6 times to go over the settlement agreement that has gone back and forth about 4 or 5 times since October. I am in the home. No written separation agreement when spouse walked out of the house in August yet didn't informed me he moved out for three weeks. He pays what we agreed on (w/o anything in writing) when he wants to. He has changed certain financial agreements we had verbally. We are friends yet I believe new fiance is pulling the strings. I received phone calls (2) from creditor giving information about HIS new credit account and monthly payment of 345/month for diamond ring. I was a bit upset and not because of the engagement but because he was not taking care of this end. I was laid off in January. I made just as much as spouse, if not more. Spouse is MSgt in AF and fiance is in his unit as well and he has been living with fiance for 7 months. Last month I had a medical condition become an issue and when I informed spouse he was not concerned in the least and had his atty file a Motion to Enforce the agreement currently on the table that he signed yet I did not sign. Spouse wants to be remarried before next deployment in July. When I met with my atty he advised me not to sign it until we figured out what my condition was and instructed me to have one of the Dr. fill out and affidavit if my condition was going to be serious or ongoing. I also told the atty in that meeting that while I was somewhat ok with the current agreement that I felt that it needed to be less vague and more clarification was needed in certain areas as to protect things from re-marraige on either side, yet his side more urgently. Attny agreed. That was a month ago. We have found out the medical condition is not so serious and I focused on detailing the agreement so my attny could either change it before court date in early April or be ready to express my issues in court. Mind you only one of my changes was actually asking for something more. Everything else was simply clarifying/detailing what was already there.

For example: We are selling the home. I live in the home. He is responsible for payment of 1st mtge and I am paying the 2nd until it is sold. He had changed his POA and Will a while ago and I wanted it noted somewhere that if anything should happen to him, that I was to recieve 100% of the house. He could not leave his 50% to another based on his Will or POA at the time.

There were a few others but when I met w/my attny this week he informed me that he would not change the agreement and it could not be changed. I was dumbfounded and asked why and he said "because I gave your husbands attny my word that the agreement was fine" I couldn't believe it.....I never signed it and never agreed to it, yet he verbally and in writing communicated with the attorney that it was fine pending medical analysis.

I told him, I don't care what you told him that I wanted these changes REQUESTED before we go to court. He said that he thought I was a pain in the ass and he wouldn't do it based on his word to opposing counsel and he was concerned what the judge would think of him for asking for a change.

I was shocked . He withdrew from the case and if he hadn't I would have fired him. Anyway I have a court date next week and no attorney. I have called 47 attorneys and either can't get a call back, or they say they are too busy.

Am I going to get one based on prior attny situation? I am at a loss and now scared to death that I will get screwed?

PLEASE HELP

What the heck do I do? How do I get an attny?

Also, how do I ensure that I can keep medical insurance and have him pay for it considering when the divorce is final......I am without coverage....and I cannot afford to pay for it until I am employed?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">