• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needing help after shocking revelation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TroubleinGA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
So here is the story. Things got progressively worse between my wife and I until I moved out. When that was going down she was suddenly sweet to me again and helped with the move. I had suspected her of infidelity for quite some time but without any proof I assumed that the our separation was a mutual decision. I have been out of the house since August 1. I was spending time with her yesterday and decided that I needed to know where our relationship stood. I asked her if she was seeing someone else or had been unfaithful to me. When she finally responded, the news was that not only had she been with someone else, but she'll be having his baby later this month. She is heavy and had only gained a few pounds during the pregnancy is how I failed to notice this. Since she has been keeping this secret, she has had plenty of time to get a lawyer and make her own plans. I've moved out so all our stuff is already divided up with neither of us wanting anything else. Here is the tricky part. She says her lawyer has told her that no Judge in the state would grant a divorce until after the baby is proven to be his. The chances are very slim that it is mine though it's possible. I'd told her when I was moving out that I'd keep her on insurance until Nov. and whenever our divorce is final she wants to choose the COBRA option to extend her benefit. No problems there. She also says that since we are still married that the spouses name (mine) will be put on the Birth Certificate. This seems like a huge problem for me. While I honestly believe that she is not trying to pull some scam to make me pay for this child,(her mom is well off and has been helping to foster this lie) I certainly don't want to be associated with the child especially in a legal document sort of way. Her mom is going to pay for the paternity test and the divorce but I feel like I am on uncertain ground and really need some advice as to how to proceed. I have condensed this story down to its shortest version so if necessary details are lacking please feel free to ask. Thanks for reading and for any forthcoming advice.

TigerD

Go get a divorce attorney.
Follow his/her advice.
Don't depend on your ex-mother-in-law to help you.

This is the time to protect yourself.

DC

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You can disestablish paternity as part of the divorce.

http://www.georgiacourts.org/aoc/selfhelp/dom_relations.html

TroubleinGA

Advice

Thanks for the advice. I have been given the names of a few good lawyers and will be contacting them in the morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">