• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needing help with an ex-wife and her bills I'm paying.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

attria

What is the name of your state? arkansas
hello,
:( my fiance is having a problem with he's ex-wife. they have two kids together, and complete joint-custody. but, she has made bills that she isn't paying after their divorce. one for child care for the daughter, and one for doctor bills for their son who has adhd. he pays insurance for the doctor bills. the doctor bills are in her name not his. she braggs about having his last name still and knowing his ssn. What can we do? About the bills, her using his name for credit and to start new bills?

Julie from arkansas

Last edited:

JETX

And what does the child agreement say as to insurance and payment obligations by each party??

A

attria

all we have is a divorce decree with it stating that they have joint custody of the children and shall parent in a manner not to interfere with each other's work schedule. their is nothing about finacial needs other than they each claim one child as a dependent for tax purposes.

Any ideas on what to do?

Julie

VeronicaGia

If the bills are in her name, as they should be, they are her problem. If she starts putting his name on them, that's where she'll get into trouble. She does not have the right to put his name on her bills.

If he wants them paid, he can either pay 50% of them, provide her proof of payment, and tell her to pay the other half, or he can pay the bills in full, provide her proof of payment, and demand 50% reimbursement from her. However, once again, the bills aren't in his name, so I'm not sure what he's so worried about.

S

Star43

Hello. Most divorced parents pay half of all uninsured medical expenses and half of day care expenses. Even if they are divorced, they are still a parent and should be responsible for these expenses. Just because your husband gets a divorce and marries you, doesn't mean he will never have any more expenses for his children in the future. (besides child support). They both made these children together, I hear where you are coming from, been there done that, we had to pay regardless, for my husbands 20 year old sons braces and any other medical expenses. Yes we had insurance for him for the past 19 years, but we still had to pay half.

V

VeeGee

It all depends on what the divorce decree states as far as medical expenses are concerned. My ex had insurance on the children, and any extra expenses was HIS responsibility. I had a great lawyer :D

M

manda2020

bills and credit idea

Have you husband order a credit report , any accounts not opened by him call them and have them cancelled or whatever it is they advise him to do. And then call the social security office and let them know what is going on.
See if there is any way he can petition for her to change back to her maiden name.

A

attria

but she didn't tell him about the child care. he is get all kinds of collection put on him for bills he never knew existed unless they are summoning him for court. He doesn't pay child support. Everything is suppost to be 50-50, but she keeps getting out of she responsiblity for the bills, because he makes more money than her and the CA's go after him first because they can get more money faster out of him. If its for the children it would be different. but all the bills are in her name. We doing just about everything for the children. The day care bill was used so she can go strip in a strip club, we didn't know she was doing this until it was too late. And the bill was at 1500 dollars. Should we get a lawyer and amend the divorce degree to included the finacial part? Or just go for full custody? Would that solve the problem? We don't want her out of the children's lives. We would just like the bills to stop, and for the children's to be treated better by her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">