• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nervous about court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeannun1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

We went to mediation and signed an agreement that if it was not worked out then we had to go to arbitration. Well over a year later we ended up in Arbitration. The arbitrator made his decision, the other party finally agreed to it but will not sign the final papers. I now have a court date in 2 weeks. Can the Judge change the Arbitrators decisiion? Or does the Judge just sign the final papers and the divorce is over? This is not about child custody or anything to do with the child....

The judge had ordered us back to arbitration several months ago for a binding decision. The final papers were drawn up by my attorney and are a mirror image of the ruling. He agreed in writting to the arbitrators ruling but will not sign the final papers. He changed his mind and is demanding more things from me after he agreed to the arbitrators decision. Can the judge change the award still?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

We went to mediation and signed an agreement that if it was not worked out then we had to go to arbitration. Well over a year later we ended up in Arbitration. The arbitrator made his decision, the other party finally agreed to it but will not sign the final papers. I now have a court date in 2 weeks. Can the Judge change the Arbitrators decisiion? Or does the Judge just sign the final papers and the divorce is over? This is not about child custody or anything to do with the child....

The judge had ordered us back to arbitration several months ago for a binding decision. The final papers were drawn up by my attorney and are a mirror image of the ruling. He agreed in writting to the arbitrators ruling but will not sign the final papers. He changed his mind and is demanding more things from me after he agreed to the arbitrators decision. Can the judge change the award still?
The judge can reject the arbitration if it is patently unfair or illegal. If the arbitration is close to guidelines (50:50 split of property), there would be no reason for the judge to reject it - even if he has the authority (I'm not sure whether he does or not).

So if the assets are evenly divided and everything else is within normal guidelines for your state, there's no reason for the judge to change it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">