• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was never served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darkimagery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I went to file for divorce, and found out he had filed back in August 2014 and that I was served 8/13/14. I know for a fact I wasn't because I was in court all day that day trying to get my kids back from Child Protective services thanks to his allegations. My big question is, when you are served with those papers, aren't you suppose to sign something to acknowledge it? And if so, is there a way I can see if my signature has been forged on those documents? Really need to know this ASAP. Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I went to file for divorce, and found out he had filed back in August 2014 and that I was served 8/13/14. I know for a fact I wasn't because I was in court all day that day trying to get my kids back from Child Protective services thanks to his allegations. My big question is, when you are served with those papers, aren't you suppose to sign something to acknowledge it? And if so, is there a way I can see if my signature has been forged on those documents? Really need to know this ASAP. Please help.
You don't have to sign anything when you are served. Look at the court file and see how service was made.

single317dad

Someone swore that you were properly served. Whether or not you actually were can be answered in part by taking the action suggested by Zigner in the previous reply.

packman

No signature is required from you. Only the signature of the serving agent swearing that you were served is required.

The agent doesn't have to tell you what they are giving you. They just have to give you the paperwork. Perhaps an officer of the court gave you the divorce papers while you were there?

CJane

Was someone else at your house while you were in court? YOU did not have to personally be served, any other adult in the household could have been served.

darkimagery

No, house was empty. More so when I got home after juvenile court and found things missing. I never got any paperwork. It's only my oldest daughter and me in the house, and she was at court with me. So I have no idea what is going on. No one came up to me at court, no one has come to the house. Nothing. I'm lost really. I don't know what to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, house was empty. More so when I got home after juvenile court and found things missing. I never got any paperwork. It's only my oldest daughter and me in the house, and she was at court with me. So I have no idea what is going on. No one came up to me at court, no one has come to the house. Nothing. I'm lost really. I don't know what to do.
I told you what to do (for starters):

You don't have to sign anything when you are served. Look at the court file and see how service was made.
(emphasis added)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">