• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New court order for Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doc.k

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello.
Ex-wife and I divorced 12 years ago. Divorce decree and separation agreement had kids with her. I paid child support for 12 years.
My 16 Year old son moved out of Mom's house and into mine. She states that since the decree does not order her to pay support she will not pay.
Do I need to petition the court to re-look at agreement. He is registered and has drivers license with my address on it.
She lives and works in NC. We were married in Rhode Island, divorced in Virginia..

Thanks
-Doc K

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello.
Ex-wife and I divorced 12 years ago. Divorce decree and separation agreement had kids with her. I paid child support for 12 years.
My 16 Year old son moved out of Mom's house and into mine. She states that since the decree does not order her to pay support she will not pay.
Do I need to petition the court to re-look at agreement. He is registered and has drivers license with my address on it.
She lives and works in NC. We were married in Rhode Island, divorced in Virginia..

Thanks
-Doc K
Ex is correct. In fact, you ARE still paying child support to her, right? You will need to do that until the court orders otherwise.

Just Blue

Hello.

Thanks
-Doc K
You need to file to stop CS for the child with you and to have mom pay for support of said child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello.

Thanks
-Doc K
Was custody changed or was this all done unofficially? My guess is unofficially. Without a court order changing custody, you have issues of more than just child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">