• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New here with questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jes444

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I've been seperated from my husband for a year now and I have some questions about my divorce. (When I left him I left with a suitcase so he has everything that I own)

- I have a pretty good idea where my STBX is... do you think that it will be better to serve him via public service or in with a process server? He has not formally provided me with any type of address and I think that he has 2 warrants out for his arrest so I do not anticipate him actually showing up to court either way.

- If he doesn't show then do my requests that are on the divorce paperwork automatically go into an order provided that the judge deems them reasonable?

- Over the past 5 years I have paid for roughly 85% of the bills. I am asking from the courts that I be permitted to retain any items that I entered the divorce with, all items that were gifted to me throughout the course of the marriage as well as 50% of the items that were purchased during the marriage. I am also assuming all legal responsability for about $5,000 in debt. Do you think that this is reasonable?

- There is one thing that I would really like to retain from the divorce but I am unsure of how to ask for it in the paperwork.... I'm a bit of a movie fanatic and I own roughly 350 DVD's that I would like back. How do you think I should ask for this without seeming petty?

- We lived in South Carolina together and after seperation he took all of our items and moved to Florida. It should be noted that prior to seperation most of our items were in a storage unit due to a military deployment that I was on... he took the items out of the storage unit without my knowledge. Since he relocated with the items, does it seem reasonable that he should have to bring them back or do you think I'm gonna have to go get them?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I've been seperated from my husband for a year now and I have some questions about my divorce. (When I left him I left with a suitcase so he has everything that I own)

- I have a pretty good idea where my STBX is... do you think that it will be better to serve him via public service or in with a process server? He has not formally provided me with any type of address and I think that he has 2 warrants out for his arrest so I do not anticipate him actually showing up to court either way.
If you have decent idea of where he is you are going to have to serve him. Service via publication is only allowed if you truly can't find the other party.

- If he doesn't show then do my requests that are on the divorce paperwork automatically go into an order provided that the judge deems them reasonable?
Yes, but if the orders include things in his physical possession, you would still have to track him down and go through some serious hassle to get those things back.

Over the past 5 years I have paid for roughly 85% of the bills. I am asking from the courts that I be permitted to retain any items that I entered the divorce with, all items that were gifted to me throughout the course of the marriage as well as 50% of the items that were purchased during the marriage. I am also assuming all legal responsability for about $5,000 in debt. Do you think that this is reasonable?
Its very reasonable.

There is one thing that I would really like to retain from the divorce but I am unsure of how to ask for it in the paperwork.... I'm a bit of a movie fanatic and I own roughly 350 DVD's that I would like back. How do you think I should ask for this without seeming petty?
The issue isn't petty...the problem is that the dvds may be gone.

We lived in South Carolina together and after seperation he took all of our items and moved to Florida. It should be noted that prior to seperation most of our items were in a storage unit due to a military deployment that I was on... he took the items out of the storage unit without my knowledge. Since he relocated with the items, does it seem reasonable that he should have to bring them back or do you think I'm gonna have to go get them?
Again, the bigger problem may be that the items are long gone.....and realistically, if you want them back, you are probably going to have to go get them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">