• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a new marriage during legal separation with anorher person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state?

WA

I've just found out that my husband got married to me before his legal divorce with ex.
They were officially separated, but all financial closeouts with her are dated after two years of our marriage. NO chidren in that marriage.
Its called bigamy. Google "putative spouse".

1. Are any profits could he get by getting marriage to me? What is the reason to marriage again BEFORE the final financial settlement?
What? What profits? Marrying again is considered illegal. So you would have to ask him why he did that.

2. Is my marriage legal?
Google putative spouse.

3. If I file for divorce, do I have any financial rights in this case? NO children.
Half the marital property and half the marital debt.

4. My husband sold his own property that he bought before our marriage and bought a new house during our marriage. He is the only owner. I signed Quit Claim Deed at that time.
You did? How long ago was that? How was the mortgage paid? Through marital income since the quit claim?
Since I sold my apartment that I also bought before our marriage, now I don't have any place to live.
Where you living now?

he has NO contact order because of domestic violence case and right now I live in his house as a wife. Do I have any rights re this property if I file for divorce?
Maybe. ANswer my questions.

Thank you
Welcome!

LdiJ

Ohiogal....I have to mention something that you may have overlooked.

Its possible for a divorce to be final without a property settlement being final. Therefore its not certain that he wasn't divorced before he married her. She is focusing on the financial settlements but that's not necessarily an indicator that he wasn't legally divorced and free to remarry.

She needs a consult with a local attorney who can research the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">