• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Member With A Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toto1234

I recently got divorced (final November 3rd 2012) and in the divorce agreement my ex wife had a clause added that both parties were to remain unmarried for 1 year. I didn't have a problem with this so we both signed. I talked to her today and she said that she and the guy she has been dating for 3 1/2 weeks got married yesterday. I don't have a problem with her get married but she has caused me trouble since the divorce. My question is if she continues to give me grief is there anything that could be done about her getting married before the year was up? I don't want to cause trouble and I'm actually glad she found someone (hopefully she will calm down with the grief directed at me). If I need to give more information I will be glad to do so.

Thanks

Silverplum

I recently got divorced (final November 3rd 2012) and in the divorce agreement my ex wife had a clause added that both parties were to remain unmarried for 1 year. I didn't have a problem with this so we both signed. I talked to her today and she said that she and the guy she has been dating for 3 1/2 weeks got married yesterday. I don't have a problem with her get married but she has caused me trouble since the divorce. My question is if she continues to give me grief is there anything that could be done about her getting married before the year was up? I don't want to cause trouble and I'm actually glad she found someone (hopefully she will calm down with the grief directed at me). If I need to give more information I will be glad to do so.

Thanks
US law only.

I'mTheFather

Just for giggles, you can tell her that the marriage is invalid due to the clause in the divorce order. You may enjoy watching her try to verify that info.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

Sorry. I just found the site and I'm not familiar with it. Should I have posted this in another forum? I do live in US.
When you posted your first post there was a question. What is the name of your state? You were supposed to answer that question before starting the text of your message. Law varies from state to state. So, you answer that very important question, and you will get better answers.

toto1234

I apologize. I live in Alabama and I really don't even want to joke about being married to her. That will keep me up at night.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there was no penalty for remarriage in the court order, then this is really a non-starter. Not that the clause would hold up in the the first place...

anearthw

You could make a stink of it, but marrying after 3 weeks dating and you could probably just wait and watch this one fizzle to your own amusement.

toto1234

That's true. I don't want to cause any drama with her, I just didn't know if there was anything that could be done legally if needed because of this. I gave in on just about everything for the sake of the kids and she has already broken 3 of the clauses she put in the agreement. I haven't called her on these because of the girls.

latigo

Thanks
If you don't want to "cause trouble", and apparently DO NOT have a legal question, then why the blazes are you posting in here?

Moreover, you couldn’t cause any trouble even if you wanted to cause trouble.

For obvious reasons, at least obvious to a normal adult, a contract that attempts to restrict the right of a person to marry or to vote, or to bear children, or to exercise any of their constitutional rights IS VOID as being contrary to public policy!

So don’t trouble yourself to “give more information” as none is needed.

What you need to do is get on with your life and quit worrying about how she lives hers.

Bali Hai

That's true. I don't want to cause any drama with her, I just didn't know if there was anything that could be done legally if needed because of this. I gave in on just about everything for the sake of the kids and she has already broken 3 of the clauses she put in the agreement. I haven't called her on these because of the girls.
Court orders are to be obeyed by both parties. If the clause was put in not to marry for one year, and the judge signed off on it, then that is exactly what it means. Not holding her to the agreement will only let her think she can flout any court order without impunity. These women think court orders are for men to follow and the court won't hold them responsible for anything. And this is true in many cases. It's time men fight back and try to force the courts to be fair and impartial.

toto1234

If you don't want to "cause trouble", and apparently DO NOT have a legal question, then why the blazes are you posting in here?

For obvious reasons, at least obvious to a normal adult, a contract that attempts to restrict the right of a person to marry or to vote, or to bear children, or to exercise any of their constitutional rights IS VOID as being contrary to public policy!

What you need to do is get on with your life and quit worrying about how she lives hers.
Thank you for your kind information and you might be correct if we were talking about a normal person. I have put up with her telling my 11 and 8 year old daughters that daddy is dating a ***** woman(not true) and I was dating other women while we were still married (also not true). The type of person that would tell minor children things like this has a problem (she is bipolar). And for your information the clauses were put in there by her. I don't give a xxxx what she does as long as our children are taken care of and safe. But thank you for your concern.

Bali Hai

Then the stupid judge should not have signed the agreement.

Wanna bet if OP remarried within the year timeframe, the court would have tried to burn him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">