• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

next of kin rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

namor007

What is the name of your state? california.
this is my situation. i have a brother that has late stages of multiple sclerosis and my family does not think that his wife has all the good intentions for him. he wants to come back to the usa, he is in guam now. but his wife is being difficult. she knows she has the upper hand because going to guam is expensive for us here in the states. what i want to know is there some type of power of attorney or a conservership that we can exercise on my brothers behalf so we can get him back here to the states. he is a veteran also.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? california.
this is my situation. i have a brother that has late stages of multiple sclerosis and my family does not think that his wife has all the good intentions for him. he wants to come back to the usa, he is in guam now. but his wife is being difficult. she knows she has the upper hand because going to guam is expensive for us here in the states. what i want to know is there some type of power of attorney or a conservership that we can exercise on my brothers behalf so we can get him back here to the states. he is a veteran also.
Quite frankly the laws of guam would apply. But your brother is an adult. In US law his wife is considered his closest next of kin. Not a sibling or parent.

LdiJ

Quite frankly the laws of guam would apply. But your brother is an adult. In US law his wife is considered his closest next of kin. Not a sibling or parent.
Well...that is not completely correct. Guam is a US protectorate so US federal law applies. If the brother is able to execute a power of attorney they could bring him back to the US....but probably not without someone in the family going to Guam.

Citizens of Guam are citizens of the US....with full US constitutional rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">