• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No contact in 15 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imagyne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
My husband and I were married in NJ. We moved to Florida in 1988. We split up in 1993. He went back to NJ. I stayed in FL. Our son was 12 years old at the time. My son stayed with me.

I filed for child support within my county and received a letter two years later that no money had been collected from him. My son received one 50.00 check for his birthday from his father and that was the last he has heard from him. My son is now 28.

I would like to file for divorce or find out if my husband may have filed for divorce in NJ and I just didn't receive papers. Can you tell me what my options are?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
My husband and I were married in NJ. We moved to Florida in 1988. We split up in 1993. He went back to NJ. I stayed in FL. Our son was 12 years old at the time. My son stayed with me.

I filed for child support within my county and received a letter two years later that no money had been collected from him. My son received one 50.00 check for his birthday from his father and that was the last he has heard from him. My son is now 28.

I would like to file for divorce or find out if my husband may have filed for divorce in NJ and I just didn't receive papers. Can you tell me what my options are?
If you know his social security number you can check the SS Death Index to make sure that he has not passed away.

If you know the county that he moved to you can check with the courthouse there to see if there is any records of a divorce.

If you know how to contact any of his family you could try contacting them for information.

You can hire a people locator service (there are many of them online) to see if you can find him that way.

Or you can hire an attorney and check into the feasibility of service by publication.

imagyne

Great Options, thanks!

Thank you very much for the advice on what direction to head.....I will check these out. Hopefully, one will bring results

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">