• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No-Contact Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiaG

Washington State
Husband and I divorced in Washington State and after the divorce he moved to Virginia. During the divorce process he asked me for a mutual no contact order for ten years. I agreed. If I attempted to contact him in Virginia, would I be in a direct violation of the restraining order even though we are in two different states now.

We live in two different States. It is a No-Contact order! The No-Contact order was a way for him to feel in control. Husband filed for the divorce. I do not see where I could be in violation of the No-Contact order since it was filed in the State of Washington and after the divorce was finalized he moved to Virginia.

Last edited:

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Washington State
Husband and I divorced in Washington State and after the divorce he moved to Virginia. During the divorce process he asked me for a mutual no contact order for ten years. I agreed. If I attempted to contact him in Virginia, would I be in a direct violation of the restraining order even though we are in two different states now.
You are still under the original jurisdiction of the WA courts, as in, you still live there, correct? If you were to contact him, he could potentially haul your butt back to court in contempt of the order in WA. What was the restraining order for? Or no, contact order. Which is it?

LdiJ

Washington State
Why do you even need to contact him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">