• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no divorce decree means void marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spaghie

married two years ago in california, have one child. now need my husbands divorce decree for other legal purposes...
as it turns out he and his ex lost their documents, and the county where they're supposedly divorced in montana has no record of them.
questions are:
does a new divorce have to be performed?
what is my legal standing?
is the marriage void?

really really confused about this. would appreciate any input you might give me.

LegalBeagle

spaghie said:
married two years ago in california, have one child. now need my husbands divorce decree for other legal purposes...
as it turns out he and his ex lost their documents, and the county where they're supposedly divorced in montana has no record of them.
questions are:
does a new divorce have to be performed?
what is my legal standing?
is the marriage void?

really really confused about this. would appreciate any input you might give me.
Are you saying that neither the husband, wife, court or any attorneys have *any* record of this divorce or any papers leading up to it?

S

spaghie

i found that hard to believe as well.
as for the attorney...they don't remember the name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">