• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asilqt25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My mother needs to get a divorce. She asked me to print out papers for her to fill out but I can not find any papers without having to pay a lot. I think divorce papers should be free. My dad hits her and makes death threats to her. She needs a divorce fast but works as a waitress and struggles to support her two kids. I live all the way in Texas and she says she wants to live closer to me in two years and THEN she will get the divorce...but shouldnt she get the divorce in Georgia and BEFORE she moves? How much would it all be? He is already not allowed to be around the kids without supervision so custody is certain to go to her. I know nothing of divorce and my mom is looking to me for answers. HELP! :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My mother needs to get a divorce. She asked me to print out papers for her to fill out but I can not find any papers without having to pay a lot. I think divorce papers should be free. My dad hits her and makes death threats to her. She needs a divorce fast but works as a waitress and struggles to support her two kids. I live all the way in Texas and she says she wants to live closer to me in two years and THEN she will get the divorce...but shouldnt she get the divorce in Georgia and BEFORE she moves? How much would it all be? He is already not allowed to be around the kids without supervision so custody is certain to go to her. I know nothing of divorce and my mom is looking to me for answers. HELP! :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
She can move wherever she wishes, but it's the custody of the children that is decided by a court of law. She'd better file for divorce/custody/child support AND permission to move to another state BEFORE she takes off with his kids.

She should go to a local battered women's shelter -- they will help her get legal help, and, of course, help her and her children to be safe.

mistoffolees

She really needs to talk with an attorney. An initial consultation is free with some of them and some will work out payment plans. Although working as a waitress and 2 kids, she should first check to see if Legal Aid in her area can help. If there are marital assets and/or if the husband makes a decent income, she may be able to find an attorney who can ask the court to be paid by the father or from marital assets.

To answer the specifics. If he is hitting her and making death threats, she needs to report it to the police and get a restraining order. The suggestion about going to a shelter is a good one, as well, although you'd have to leave the home which is disruptive for the kids (since the father apparently isn't there (not allowed to be near the kids), anyway).

She should NOT move without court permission. Since the father isn't allowed to be around them without supervision, it's not as bad as it might be in some cases, but it could still be a problem. I'd suggest that she file for divorce, ask for custody, and simultaneously ask for the court's permission to move to be nearer family. She needs to present that as being better for the kids because of having family around. She may also need to provide for a plan for the father to see his kids.

There is no way to say how much divorce will cost. It can range from very little for a simple, noncontested divorce to many, many thousands of dollars for a contested divorce with lots or property and custody issues. The simpler the divorce and the less the two people fight over things, the lower the cost.

There are a lot of links on this site that describe the general process so she can become familiar with the process. She can get a treasure trove of info by entering 'divorce texas' into Google or Bing.

One caution: it's OK for you to print out papers at her request, but do NOT start helping her fill them out. You can't even really tell her which forms she needs. If you start helping her fill out the forms, you are practicing law without a license which could get you in a heap of trouble.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
http://www.fultoncourt.org/sca200807/documents-and-forms/cat_view/52-family-court/53-packets/63-divorce-packet-6.html

(I got that by entering georgia court divorce packet in Google. I don't know what county the OP needs, or even if there is a difference from county to county.)

If mom heads over to the court, she can ask the clerk...I'll bet they have a packet all stapled together that even has instructions included...

Badbrains

Divorce papers are always free, go to your county court house and they will give you all the documents you need to enter your divorce request. Very easy to follow. The only thing that is not free is the filing fees and what may come next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">