• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-married seperation bill responsibilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jd5732

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

What is the NJ law in terms of monetary responsibility if two people live together and not married. Let's say the house is in the woman's name, the bills are in the woman's name but they were living together for less than a year. If the man decides to end the relationship and leave, is he responsible for any bills, mortgages, past debts incurred under the woman's name while they were together, etc.?

BelizeBreeze

If you WANT to be responsible then sure, you can be. If this is a lease/rental and your name is on the lease agreement, then yes. If this is an owned house and absent any contract to the contrary, HELL NO!

J

jd5732

??

Does anyone else also have any advise, the woman is being very threatening. No-one put a gun to her head, it just didn't work out. I believe she is responsible for her own decisions.

nextwife

Give her a standard 30 or 60 day notice, so she has time to find a replacement roomate and then move on. She bought the place herself, which means she needed to qualify on her own for it. It's hers, you have neither an interest nor an obligatiion. But, be a mensch and give her notice so she has time to deal with arranging a houseshare if she needs the income.

BelizeBreeze

jd5732 said:
Does anyone else also have any advise, the woman is being very threatening. No-one put a gun to her head, it just didn't work out. I believe she is responsible for her own decisions.
And what the hell do you think I gave you? CHOPPED LIVER?

I hope she sues your ass and depletes every penny you have even if she loses. Maybe then you'll recognize advice when you get it.

CHRIST!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">