• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-support separation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My wife of nearly ten years stated that she no longer loves me, and wants a separation. She has been the main breadwinner since we married, as I built our business. She has not specified any grounds for the separation, other than her lack of love feelings.

I would like to know the true definition of "non-support" as a grounds for separation in NY. I do not want a separation or divorce. I have been emotionally supportive, but all income from the business was reinvested into the business. I have been faithful to our marriage vows, I am not abusive in any way, and have always expressed my love for her. We built our own home, and I spent 1.5 years doing all of the mahor labor on the house, including heat, plumbing, electric, floors, etc. While not a financially productive endeavor, it was certainly in support of our marital goals.

If she files for separation, and I wish to dispute, whats steps must be taken, and at what expense?

Any information regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated.

csw

Separation grounds question

New York State

My W of nearly 10 years is planning on leaving me. No kids. I believe that she is involved in an affair. I believe that she has seen a lawyer, but she has not served papers. She is talking about a trial sep. but I don't know if she means a legal sep. She has no grounds for sep or Divorce. What steps must I take to contest, and what are my options? Can she make me move out of our house. If I leave for a day, ca she change the locks? If she has ceased depositing her paychecks in our account, should I confront her or close the account? We have a sizeable debt, and I made it clear that my goal was to pay off the debt before sep, she agreed & said it was her goal as well, but now I am not so sure. HELP!

LdiJ

csw said:
New York State

My W of nearly 10 years is planning on leaving me. No kids. I believe that she is involved in an affair. I believe that she has seen a lawyer, but she has not served papers. She is talking about a trial sep. but I don't know if she means a legal sep. She has no grounds for sep or Divorce. What steps must I take to contest, and what are my options? Can she make me move out of our house. If I leave for a day, ca she change the locks? If she has ceased depositing her paychecks in our account, should I confront her or close the account? We have a sizeable debt, and I made it clear that my goal was to pay off the debt before sep, she agreed & said it was her goal as well, but now I am not so sure. HELP!
Realistically, you cannot force her to remain married to you. One way or another, if she wants a divorce she is going to get a divorce. The most that you can do is delay things....but in the end the result will be the same and you will spend a ton of money in legal fees....rather than the lessor amount that a relatively amicable divorce/separation would entail.

Kansas4me

She doesn't need "grounds" as you are referring to. Irr diff is all she needs. Meaning she doesn't like you anymore. You don't have to have done anything wrong. You two grew apart (Or she grew apart) and that is all it takes for "grounds" for a divorce.

csw

Separation grounds question

New York

I agree about forcing her to stay married. That is not my desire. I only want to slow down the process so that we can work on things. We have just started MC, and I would like to give that a chance.

As far as grounds, there is no IRR DIf in NY. Only, sep for 1 year, abandonment, cruelty, and or adultery.

My hope was for some way to stall the process without incurring huge legal fees.

LdiJ

csw said:
New York

I agree about forcing her to stay married. That is not my desire. I only want to slow down the process so that we can work on things. We have just started MC, and I would like to give that a chance.

As far as grounds, there is no IRR DIf in NY. Only, sep for 1 year, abandonment, cruelty, and or adultery.

My hope was for some way to stall the process without incurring huge legal fees.
Again, you can't stop her from separating from you. Also, she could move to NJ for example, establish residency there and file for divorce there if you were to try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">