• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noncooperative Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

standindad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My girlfriend has been separated from her ex for 5 years now, but the divorce is still not done. At first it was because she was trying to get back on her feet after leaving him and taking her two children. Then it was because she couldn't afford a lawyer and didn't know where to look for cheap/free legal support. Finally, after hiring a lawyer and filing for the divorce, things seem to be back to square one because he and his lawyer are dragging their feet and have now filed for a change of venue.

After leaving her husband, she moved with the kids to another county in Florida. Her ex has since had another child with another woman and wanted to remarry. So at first he was cooperative for the first time since their separation.
But then when he saw the child support he owes, he hired a lawyer and has since been ducking and dodging any way he can. He has apparently quit his job to avoid paying anything, and will not agree to any terms for child support (can he even do that?).

Also, his lawyer filed for a change of venue, which apparently causes everything my girlfriend has been doing with her lawyer to be void... because now she has to start the process all over again in the county they were married in???

This guy is obviously a deadbeat dad who just doesn't want to take responsibility for his children. Is there anything she can do to speed this process along? Lawyer fees have become too much to handle now, and she doesn't know where else to look.

Are there are cheaper services? Any free services? She needs more experienced and knowledgable help than I can provide.

Thank you for your advice.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My girlfriend has been separated from her ex for 5 years now, but the divorce is still not done. At first it was because she was trying to get back on her feet after leaving him and taking her two children. Then it was because she couldn't afford a lawyer and didn't know where to look for cheap/free legal support. Finally, after hiring a lawyer and filing for the divorce, things seem to be back to square one because he and his lawyer are dragging their feet and have now filed for a change of venue.

After leaving her husband, she moved with the kids to another county in Florida. Her ex has since had another child with another woman and wanted to remarry. So at first he was cooperative for the first time since their separation.
But then when he saw the child support he owes, he hired a lawyer and has since been ducking and dodging any way he can. He has apparently quit his job to avoid paying anything, and will not agree to any terms for child support (can he even do that?).

Also, his lawyer filed for a change of venue, which apparently causes everything my girlfriend has been doing with her lawyer to be void... because now she has to start the process all over again in the county they were married in???

This guy is obviously a deadbeat dad who just doesn't want to take responsibility for his children. Is there anything she can do to speed this process along? Lawyer fees have become too much to handle now, and she doesn't know where else to look.

Are there are cheaper services? Any free services? She needs more experienced and knowledgable help than I can provide.

Thank you for your advice.
They can file for whatever they want - it doesn't mean it will be granted.

Sorry to break the news to you, but divorce is expensive. If she's not happy with her attorney, she can get another one, but it will still be expensive. Trying to do it without an attorney is usually a mistake - particularly when one party is trying to drag it out.

I would suggest that she sit down with her attorney and talk about how to bring it to a close. They may have to file a motion for a final hearing and roll the dice on what the court will rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">