• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not been with spouse for over 13 years.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James Hamilton

What is the name of your state?
I was married in Pa and now live in NJ.

I have not seen my wife??? for over 13years. Several years ago my parents received a phone call from her sister wanting to get in touch with me because she (my wife) wanted to move on but they did not provide her with any info. I want to obtain a divorce and I am unable to locate her or her family and for all I know I may all ready be divorced.

How can I find out if I am already divorce and/or how do I obtain a divorce when the other party cannot be found?

elena77

also in NJ, if you've been legally separated for 18 months or more, you can easily be granted a divorce without your spouses consent

elena77

"An ex parte decision is one decided by a judge without requiring all of the parties to the controversy to be present"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
"An ex parte decision is one decided by a judge without requiring all of the parties to the controversy to be present"
And you are missing the second part of that -- it is also one in which notice does not need to be served upon the other party. A divorce requires proper notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">