• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not getting financial or child support.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leedg

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado
I am getting a divorce, I moved into my own home on 11/18/04. I have one child. Divorce papers were signed on 12/02/04. Soon to be Ex has paid me a total of $200.00 calling it holiday money. I have repeatedly requested money financial support, Ex refuses. Temporary orders will be signed 1/31/05. In the meantime I have no money and I am far behind on bills, I have no food, etc...I took out all of the money from my childs savings account and put it into my account. I will repay this once the soon to be Ex pays me for 2 months of back pay. Back pay is going to be reserved for permanent orders, not what I wanted. What are my legal ramifications for taking draining my childs savings account? The account was in childs name, Ex'es name and my name. Child is an adolescent. Thank you.

VeronicaGia

leedg said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado
I am getting a divorce, I moved into my own home on 11/18/04. I have one child. Divorce papers were signed on 12/02/04. Soon to be Ex has paid me a total of $200.00 calling it holiday money. I have repeatedly requested money financial support, Ex refuses. Temporary orders will be signed 1/31/05. In the meantime I have no money and I am far behind on bills, I have no food, etc...I took out all of the money from my childs savings account and put it into my account. I will repay this once the soon to be Ex pays me for 2 months of back pay. Back pay is going to be reserved for permanent orders, not what I wanted. What are my legal ramifications for taking draining my childs savings account? The account was in childs name, Ex'es name and my name. Child is an adolescent. Thank you.
Unless he is court ordered to pay you, he is under no obligation to pay. Did you get his signature to clear out the child's account? If not, that could cause you huge legal problems.

nextwife

If the child is an adolescent, are you working? Are you applying? Rather than clear out the child's accounts, how about working during the time they are in school? That, at least, would help.

LdiJ

VeronicaGia said:
Unless he is court ordered to pay you, he is under no obligation to pay. Did you get his signature to clear out the child's account? If not, that could cause you huge legal problems.
I disagree. The money belongs to all parties on the account.

nextwife

But it is intended for the child's future use. I agree she is unlikely to get into trouble, but I sure would have wanted to exhaust all other reasonable options before dipping into my kid's money.

What would she do if STBX ended up in a hospital with a stroke, or was in an accident? Even the most diligently paying co-parent can end up suddenly not able to provide any financial assistance. Depending solely on someone else or kiddies accounts is NOT a good back-up plan.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">