• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not paying the bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chellebelle435

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My ex husband was agreed and was ordered to pay a bill on a home improvement credit card under my name. He has since been either constantly been late or neglected to pay at all. Our divorce was finalized in June. He has also had another woman living with him since before all was legally finished.

I was told by the credit card company that since it is in my name there is nothing I can do. If that is true, what was the point of declaring that in my divorce? If its not, what can I do to get his ass in gear, or at least take the stress off my shoulders and officially put it on his?

Thank you,
Rachelle

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My ex husband was agreed and was ordered to pay a bill on a home improvement credit card under my name. He has since been either constantly been late or neglected to pay at all. Our divorce was finalized in June. He has also had another woman living with him since before all was legally finished.

I was told by the credit card company that since it is in my name there is nothing I can do. If that is true, what was the point of declaring that in my divorce? If its not, what can I do to get his ass in gear, or at least take the stress off my shoulders and officially put it on his?

Thank you,
Rachelle

Unfortunately the credit card co. is right - they're not party to the divorce decree and can/will come after you for the money.

If you want to preserve your credit you need to pay the bill yourself. Then you can either take him to small claims court or file for contempt in the family court where the divorce was decreed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">