• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paying his half of medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

impish1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
It states in my divorce that any bills that are not covered under the health insurance are to be split between the two of us. We currently have past due dental bills he refuses to pay his half for and one of my sons has some cavities that need some tending too. I will also have another Dr's bill coming up after I pay my half. He had already contacted the Psychologist my son saw a year ago after talking about suicide and he told the Dr. that he did not authorize any treatment and if he sends him a bill he will sue him. How do I get these bills paid? I have no money for any attorney and if I did I would just pay the dang bills and be done with it. How do I get his previous lawyer or a judge to get him to pay up?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You file a motion to show cause. And read the Rules of Civil Procedure and local rules to make sure you do so correctly.

impish1

"How" do I file a motion to show cause? I have heard of this, but in the past a lawyer did this. This also means we go to court and he has a lawyer and I do not? Will the judge give any condierdation to the fact that I would be there alone?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
"How" do I file a motion to show cause? I have heard of this, but in the past a lawyer did this. This also means we go to court and he has a lawyer and I do not? Will the judge give any condierdation to the fact that I would be there alone?
Nope. You have a choice to either hire a lawyer or not. You will be treated just as though you were counsel if you are representing yourself. How do you file? You read the local rules and rules of civil procedure and look at your county's website. They may have forms listed there.

mistoffolees

Nope. You have a choice to either hire a lawyer or not. You will be treated just as though you were counsel if you are representing yourself. How do you file? You read the local rules and rules of civil procedure and look at your county's website. They may have forms listed there.
However, there's a general rule (IMHO):

If you have to ask how to file, then you probably shouldn't attempt it on your own.

If it's simple, it shouldn't cost much to have an attorney do it. If it's complex, there's a big risk that you'll make a mistake - and not get what you want - so it may be worth paying an attorney.

The only time I'd personally attempt filing on my own is if something isn't terribly important, so it doesn't matter if I lose, and not much money is at stake. Of course, in a case like that, why bother filing in the first place (other than to annoy the other party)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">