• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Quite Divorced but feels like it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Thstarling

Hello,

This is my first step into looking at ways to get out of my current situtation, I really didn't know what kind of lawyer to contact since we were not married. I have an ex-girlfriend who I was with over the past 2 years, I had planned on proposing to her on Thanksgiving. We purchased a home in Grayson, GA, a suburb of Gwinett County & a Mecredes ML320 together, it appears on both of our credit reports. She owned a 1994 Volkswagen GL prior & this was our other card & the car I currently drive. In July of this year I suspected her of cheating on me with another man whom she was introduced to by a friend. The "friend" would call the house with the man on the phone in a 3-way call mode & hang-up to let them talk after she had gottne past me. I had no idea this was going on until she later told me after I figured things out. She told me she was going to Myrtle Beach with friends & instead met with the man here in Atlanta at a hotel. The other man lives in Hyattsville, MD & may even be in the process of moving to Atlanta from conversations with my ex. During this entire situation, she changed the alarm codes so that I would be denied access to my belongings. When I did get the access codes to enter the house I took only my belongings, she went as far as to have an officer from Gwinett County call about pressing charges on me from, "Missing Items" and damages. I did not steal or damage the house in any way or shape - I still know that I am responsible even though I don't live there anymore. Her own mother & grandmother said she was, "a snake in the grass" & would testify in my defense on any legal issues. Me & my ex have just begun to be on speaking terms again, she gives me a hard time about the car note for the Jetta & the payments being on time. I do not do this with her in regards to the house & car she has, I have never missed a payment since we purchased the ML 320. She still lives in the house & drives the Mercedes. My reason for leaving was that I was so upset I was scared of what I might do out anger & hurt, the final straw was when the guy began to call the house while I was still there.

I don't want this situation to impact the rest of my life financially. I paid the mortgage every month on time until she cheated & I knew outright, then I didn't. I put money down on the down payment of the home & I paid on furniture, appliances, etc that I do not have access to. I have checks from the bank, that by the way are in her handwriting. I allowed her to write checks from my account to pay all bills with no hinderance. I would like to have my name removed from the house, as well as the truck note. I am afraid that if I come to her with this action she will immediately ask for the Jetta back in which case I want to know if I have legal grounds to re-coup money I invested into the house & furniture.

Please contact me at [email protected] or (404) 886-6225 with any legal advise that would assist me best in this situation.

PS. Legally am I able to claim this house on my taxes next year or not?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">