• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not responsible for ex's College debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brooksh1965

What is the name of your state? Currently Maine

I was divorced several years ago, and the divorce decree states that my ex wife is responsible for college debts. some of the the college loans I co-signed years prior. How do I get out from underneath this debt? She is currently 60 days past due on her payments and I am concerned about MY credit.

Thanks for a response!!

VG1013

brooksh1965 said:
What is the name of your state? Currently Maine

I was divorced several years ago, and the divorce decree states that my ex wife is responsible for college debts. some of the the college loans I co-signed years prior. How do I get out from underneath this debt? She is currently 60 days past due on her payments and I am concerned about MY credit.

Thanks for a response!!
If you co-signed for any college loans, and she doesn't make her payments...you are responsible for those debts. The creditor's do not care what is written on a decree, they just want their money. I don't think there is a way for you to get out of this...why not speak to a lawyer and see if he/she can help? I'm sorry

JETX

"the divorce decree states that my ex wife is responsible for college debts."
*** The divorce order does not alter any committments that you signed with a lender.

"some of the the college loans I co-signed years prior."
*** Ooops. There is one of them. If you co-signed on a note (student loan or not), your divorce order does not relieve your obligation to the lender.

"How do I get out from underneath this debt?"
*** The only way to do it is to make sure that she is paying and if she isn't, then you have to pay. The only other alternative would be to file bankruptcy and if accepted, have the debts discharged.

"She is currently 60 days past due on her payments and I am concerned about MY credit."
*** And rightfully so. The creditors will start 'circling' you looking for the payments that you guaranteed by co-signing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">