• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah Jane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana

My husband and I have been together for 11 1/2 years and married 8 of those. We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. We have had more tragedy in our marriage than most endure in a life time. We've had the loss/death of three children, each of us have lost a parent to cancer, not to memtion other close family members, etc. We almost divorced after we lost our three children to premature labor. He and I have lost something and I feel like I just want out; however, I am scared to make any moves. We ranch and I only have a part time job 9 months out of the year and am a stay at home mom. I would not be able to support my kids and myself alone. Really, he has total control of our finances, etc. I live in a small rural area of only 200 people. The nearest town is 45 minutes away. My kids idolize their dad and the thought of a divorce and what it would do to them breaks my heart. I am afraid of the power he would hold over me and that he may try to take my boys. I do love my husband but I don't think I am IN LOVE with him anymore. He is always working on the ranch and we don't see a lot of him and when we do the boys have brief time with him due to bedtimes etc., and when he is home he and I hardly talk, sex maybe 1 time in four months, and he is either on the phone, watching t.v., working on the computer, or asleep. There is not much communication UNLESS he needs me to help him. What would happen if we got a divorce or do we seperate? If so, how does that work and where do I go? What about my kids? That would kill me if he took them. I don't think he would play dirty but he is very smart and knows alot about the legal system and law and I worry that he would make sure he got things done his way no matter what. :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you tried counseling? If he won't participate, then at least for yourself.

Have you tried making a date night? Just the two of you?

VeronicaLodge

Ginny I was thinking the same thing. if you think your life/marriage was hard already, its going to be so much worse on you, him, the kids by divorcing. if you still love him but arent "in love with him" it is possible to fall in love again. i strongly urge you to think long and hard about this and the consequences and what you think your freedom will really bring you.

good luck.

Sarah Jane

Thank you for your feedback! Please keep it coming!!!

I have mentioned counceling to him and he said he'd be willing to go "If that's what you (Sarah Jane) want to do." However, getting him there is another thing entirely plus we are short on money right now and in a small community I don't think there is any free counceling available.

penelope10

Thank you for your feedback! Please keep it coming!!!

I have mentioned counceling to him and he said he'd be willing to go "If that's what you (Sarah Jane) want to do." However, getting him there is another thing entirely plus we are short on money right now and in a small community I don't think there is any free counceling available.
I agree with the counseling suggestions. Perhaps there are areas that you could cut back on in order to afford it? Usually if one finds something truly important they find a way of making it happen.

I also liked the suggestion of setting up a date night. (Something else you may have to set some funds aside for). It may seem a little strange at the beginning (think of it as a first date), but each date should make it more comfortable for the two of you. What were some of your shared interests when you first started dating?

Also a nice card, or a considerate note, costs very little money. Sometimes when we ourselves start acting more loving and considerate , our partner responds in turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">