• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do with harrasment by husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HolyCow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona / Oregon

I recently found out that my husband who is living and working in North Carolina had been cheating on me while I maintained the marital household and took care of my two teen step daughters. After a month or two of finding this out I decided I couldn't continue any longer. Husband has a job where he makes 5 or 6 times more than I do. I made about 2000 per month. He refuses to send me any money and I had to sell property to pay for movers. This property was family heirlooms on my side, marital property such as a refrigerator and bedroom sets and such like that.

I moved from Arizona to Oregon yesterday and everything is in storage waiting for me to get a job and a place to move.

The items in question are the car I drive (which is in my husbands name only) and the big screen tv that I bought with my fathers money he left me when he died.

I have texts and emails of him telling me I could sell what I needed to sell to move. I have texts and emails telling me that he would pay for my car payments. These last two weeks he has changed his tune and now tells me that unless I give him the tv he will take his car back.

I know I need to get a lawyer but my funds are limited. Will he be able to either report this car stolen even though we bought it for me to use if I don't give him the tv (which is in storage in Arizona) ? Will I be able to make payments on the car if he doesn't and keep the car?

Just over a year ago we had our house foreclosed on which was in my name only, two cars in my name were reposessed... Hind sight tells me I should have been more aware but it is now what it is.

Do I have a legal right to the car even though my name isn't on the registration? Even if I gave him the stupid tv there is no guarantee that he would make the payments for me...

Is there anything I can do? I have been getting harassed and he is threatening me about this car. I haven't answered him on any of it as I need to clear my head and get advice...

Sorry, so long..

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona / Oregon

I recently found out that my husband who is living and working in North Carolina had been cheating on me while I maintained the marital household and took care of my two teen step daughters. After a month or two of finding this out I decided I couldn't continue any longer. Husband has a job where he makes 5 or 6 times more than I do. I made about 2000 per month. He refuses to send me any money and I had to sell property to pay for movers. This property was family heirlooms on my side, marital property such as a refrigerator and bedroom sets and such like that.

I moved from Arizona to Oregon yesterday and everything is in storage waiting for me to get a job and a place to move.

The items in question are the car I drive (which is in my husbands name only) and the big screen tv that I bought with my fathers money he left me when he died.

I have texts and emails of him telling me I could sell what I needed to sell to move. I have texts and emails telling me that he would pay for my car payments. These last two weeks he has changed his tune and now tells me that unless I give him the tv he will take his car back.

I know I need to get a lawyer but my funds are limited. Will he be able to either report this car stolen even though we bought it for me to use if I don't give him the tv (which is in storage in Arizona) ? Will I be able to make payments on the car if he doesn't and keep the car?

Just over a year ago we had our house foreclosed on which was in my name only, two cars in my name were reposessed... Hind sight tells me I should have been more aware but it is now what it is.

Do I have a legal right to the car even though my name isn't on the registration? Even if I gave him the stupid tv there is no guarantee that he would make the payments for me...

Is there anything I can do? I have been getting harassed and he is threatening me about this car. I haven't answered him on any of it as I need to clear my head and get advice...

Sorry, so long..
Here is my advice.

Tell him to come and get his car. Buy yourself a modest used car. Keep your separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">