• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarized Document binding for payments?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SammyD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
My wife and I are filling for Legal seperation and I am moving out. The intent on both of our parts is to spend some time away from each other with the goal of getting back together after a period of time. She is a stay at home mom and has asked that I split the income 50-50 with her and sign papers that state this is how things will be while we have the intent to stay together but not binding in the event of divorce. Is this a safe solution or would the courts see this as a reason to continue giving half of my check in the event things don't work out and we end up in divorce court? Is there a better option?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are possibly setting yourself up for alimony payments. A better way is your spouse gets a job and becomes financially independent.

LdiJ

How long have you been married? Does your spouse have any income? What are your comparative incomes? If your spouse has no income, how long has she been out of the work force?

You may be "set up" for alimony anyway, depending on the answers to those questions.

SammyD

We will have been married 10 years in December and have 3 children together. I make about 4500 a month and my wife makes around 700 a month (she works part time only). That has been the case for about 7 years since our first born.

tuffbrk

You both need to be realistic in that your lifestyles are going to change - you cannot support 2 households with one paycheck. It doesn't make sense for you to turn over 50% of your salary as she does have some income, and presumably you are paying for medical and dental for the family. Some questions -

How are the current household expenses going to be covered?

How much time will the children spend with you?

What does she do part time? Can she increase her hours?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">