• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notorization legally binding in divorce decree?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msbsgblue

I have written a paralegal friend of mine who had her 6 bosses (attorneys) confirm that a notorized non-contested divorce decree is legally binding.

I have taken him to several websites and still cannot get him to understand that what notorizing does is verifies who you are and that once the signatures are notorized this becomes a legally binding contract.

It cannot be changed unless both parties agree.

WOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO HIM that once it is notorized it is a legally binding contract and that ONE person alone could not make changes.

Thank you,

Pat

LdiJ

I have written a paralegal friend of mine who had her 6 bosses (attorneys) confirm that a notorized non-contested divorce decree is legally binding.

I have taken him to several websites and still cannot get him to understand that what notorizing does is verifies who you are and that once the signatures are notorized this becomes a legally binding contract.

It cannot be changed unless both parties agree.

WOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO HIM that once it is notorized it is a legally binding contract and that ONE person alone could not make changes.

Thank you,

Pat
I don't necessarily agree with you.

All notorization does is verify that the person who signed a document really is who they say that are.

Signing something, notorized or not may be a legally binding contract...or it may not be a legally binding contract. It depends on the nature and contents of what was signed.

If you have a legally binding contract, then certainly one person alone cannot make changes.

If you have a divorce decree that is signed off on by a judge...then it doesn't matter if its a legally binding contract or not, or if its notorized or not, its a court order and must be obeyed, and cannot be changed by just one party.

mistoffolees

If you have a divorce decree that is signed off on by a judge...then it doesn't matter if its a legally binding contract or not, or if its notorized or not, its a court order and must be obeyed, and cannot be changed by just one party.
And if it's NOT signed off by a judge, it's not binding - until the court says it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">