• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY amending complaint due to lawyer error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divorceblunders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello... First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post...
Here is my dilemma... I moved to NY from CA (yes the first mistake was that I didn't file in CA under the no-fault divorce) 6/05 and after realizing that I would have to wait the 2 year waiting period did so... I filed for divorce (thru my lawyer) 12/07 and after having a hard time with my lawyer. (she didn't file with the courts until 3 months after she said she would) the case was kicked back (not the correct terminology I know but I can't recall the term) twice... The first time for the lawyer putting something in the paperwork about a legal separation (which didn't apply) and then the second time for the date of our being separated. The grounds that I filed on was constructive abandonment and she put 12/04 for the date when it should have been 12/03... She wouldn't change it and then wouldn't contact me and I finally ended up firing her... Now how can I go about getting the complaint amended? The other lawyers that I speak to said that I should get an Affadavit signed by my husband (he says he will but then never follows thru and has a string of excuses so I don't forsee that happening) and then I could file an amendment... Or I could start all over.. But I really don't have the money to do that...
Thank you for your time and any specific info you could provide would be helpful since it looks like I will be doing this on my own.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello... First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post...
Here is my dilemma... I moved to NY from CA (yes the first mistake was that I didn't file in CA under the no-fault divorce) 6/05 and after realizing that I would have to wait the 2 year waiting period did so... I filed for divorce (thru my lawyer) 12/07 and after having a hard time with my lawyer. (she didn't file with the courts until 3 months after she said she would) the case was kicked back (not the correct terminology I know but I can't recall the term) twice... The first time for the lawyer putting something in the paperwork about a legal separation (which didn't apply) and then the second time for the date of our being separated. The grounds that I filed on was constructive abandonment and she put 12/04 for the date when it should have been 12/03... She wouldn't change it and then wouldn't contact me and I finally ended up firing her... Now how can I go about getting the complaint amended? The other lawyers that I speak to said that I should get an Affadavit signed by my husband (he says he will but then never follows thru and has a string of excuses so I don't forsee that happening) and then I could file an amendment... Or I could start all over.. But I really don't have the money to do that...
Thank you for your time and any specific info you could provide would be helpful since it looks like I will be doing this on my own.
Why does it matter that the date is 12/04 rather than 12/03? That is a legit question that may effect the answer that you receive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">