• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY divorce and CC debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joon9

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, all. This might be a stupid, basic question, but I've been told different things.

If my husband defaults on credit card debt, will the credit companies come after me for payment and am I responsible? This debt is all in his own name, not mine, and was incurred after we got married.

And if we're divorced, is it a non-issue even though debt was incurred during marriage?

Thank you!
:D

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, all. This might be a stupid, basic question, but I've been told different things.

If my husband defaults on credit card debt, will the credit companies come after me for payment and am I responsible? This debt is all in his own name, not mine, and was incurred after we got married.

And if we're divorced, is it a non-issue even though debt was incurred during marriage?

Thank you!
:D
If its all in his name, not yours, then they won't bother you.

Joon9

Thanks to you both. But if it's an uncontested divorce, I don't think there's any reason for a judge to do such a thing, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">