• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Divorce Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EHK

i live in New York and have been married since june 30, 2000. my wife decided to get up and leave july,2001. i have been stuck with our home (purchased in Oct 2000) and the mortage payments and all the bills that once were paid by both of us. the house and most of the credit cards are solely in my name only b/c of my wifes bad credit. when she left she rented an apartment by borrowing out of her 401k. she also took some of my credit cards at department stores and funiture stores and without my permission or knowledge charged about $3000 worth of stuff. when she left she took about half of the funiture and promised to give money towards the mortgage and bills knowing we had just moved into the home and our two incomes were essential in affording the place. we also accumulated approx. $20,000 in debt together after we were married.

it has been 7 months and although i wanted to get back together nothing is working and we are only growing further apart. she refuses to go to counseling and has begun to hang-out with very young (22-24) year old single people (she is 28 i am 31) drinking and living a wild party life.

i have begun to look into get a divorce as it might seem my only option. since she left i have gone through much of my savings and have been struggeling to pay all the bills. i have asked her for help but she always makes excuses.

i wanted to understand all my options as to starting the divorce process and what i should be doing to cover myself financially. i will end up selling the house but even the profits on the sale will not cover what i think she owes me.

should i get a legal seperation or just file for divorce? what about the house and money i make on it? any other advise? thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">